Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Driver positive spring question

oahu99

So I have a pen host from sinner coming in the mail soon and I have a question for the positive battery contact.
I plan to solder a spring to the driver positive to contact the battery.
Is it harmful to the diode pins to have pressure on them from the driver?
It will be either a 3.8 or a 5.6 mm diode, as I haven't decided on the diode yet.
I just wanted to ask because I would hate to damage my diode.
Thanks

Welcome

from your question must say to take your time & be sure you are doing everything correctly- I often suggest a first build be a throwaway diode and a cheap driver-- I have seen problems with the pins being stressed by movement by the driver- so yeah you do not want that- check out the many tutorals here- especailly from DTR his pics leave no doubts- and for the best advice from our pro builders(not me) perhaps you can post some pics when you get your host and are ready to put them together- that way there shopild be no confusuion w=about wht they say nor what you are asking--IIRC some diode are better to be used with the case positive and some with the case neg. for sure once chosen yoy never mistakingly put the battery in wrong - even for a millisecond you will toast your driver at best or the diode too at worst (plz dont ask me how i know this-lol)

we have some fine members in your state= many enjoy laser meets- and even just two is a good LEM- -- its refreshing to be around people and all kinds of lasers and never hear anyone ask what are they good for??

hands-on help is better and any member with a meter should test any lasers for you at no charge-IIRC it has been a tradition going back to the time when very few members HAD access to LPMs(relatively speaking). --

Last edited:

IWIRE

I'm not familiar with that host. I'm familiar with sinners hosts just not that particular one. The pen host that I built I put a blob of thermal epoxy on either side of the driver board to bridge the gap between the driver and the diode module. It helps stabilize it and keeps from transferring pressure to the pins.
Not sure if that's the way it's suppose to be done or not. But it works. :)
Good luck with your build !

I'm not familiar with that host. I'm familiar with sinners hosts just not that particular one. The pen host that I built I put a blob of thermal epoxy on either side of the driver board to bridge the gap between the driver and the diode module. It helps stabilize it and keeps from transferring pressure to the pins.
Not sure if that's the way it's suppose to be done or not. But it works. :)
Good luck with your build !

I can second this ^^^^^^

Other option is to blob thermal epoxy on the top of the driver so it glues to the host itself!!!!!!

:beer:
-Matt