Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Driver Heatsink, case positive and lens questions???

Gastricwaste

Being new to this, I have some questions. I've searched for answers here, but I feel confused and a bit overwhelmed with some of the answers I found. So this is an attempt to try and bring some answers into one place for me and maybe anyone else who might be interested.

I will hopefully be working on my first project soon when the parts arrive. This is the build.

NUBM06 4w 445 diode in 12mm full length copper module with a G8 lens (from DTR)
Super X-drive set @ 4.0amps (from DTR)
Survival Laser SS host with extension tube to run 2 18650's

Question #1: When is it best to add more heatsinks to driver module?

Driver will be thermal epoxied to the pill inside, but I was thinking of adding another copper sink to the opposite side of the driver to help with more heat exchange, but not totally sure what I should sink.

Question #2: Case Positive, seems like the cheap lasers you get off of eBay/Amazon are all case positive.
Do I need to run this case positive as well or is this only with certain diodes?

Question #3: Lenses- diodes like NUBM06, 07, 08 all have cans on them or at least that's how they look and how I took it from certain threads here and it seems as if you may compromise the life of the diode when the can is removed.

Is this can/cover the Gball lens or for that matter a lense at all? Can you stack another lens on top of this, like a G2 or G8?

Q 1:: Ok the ic is to be thermally epoxied to the copper shelf one side is fine . In the pic this is the way you epoxy the X drive driver.

Q2::As to case Pos+ no your build will be case Neg- meaning the battery will slide in the battery tube Pos+ to the diode .

Q3: The so called G Ball on all the diodes you listed is a factory installed lens. Its non focusable to focus you will either need to take the Ball lens off to use an aspherical lens like the G2 / G8 etc. Smackitup sells the G ball adapter so you will not need to take the G lens off . Barnett Limited sells them this way you can use an aspherical lens in front of the Gball lens to focus.
Hope this helps you ..
Rich:)
A3880CFD-4AFB-4288-A521-ABFB8DD0961E_1_105_c.jpeg

The way Rich has the driver mounted is the correct way, thermally bonded to the flat surface of the 8 pin chip, however you do not want to add any heat sink to the other side/top side where you see the square part, that's an inductor and adding any metal to it directly could interfere with it's function.

Hi,
RedCowboy is correct only one side of the driver is heat sinked. And you dont need gobs of Thermal epoxy just enough to cover to IC. Let it dry really good under a little pressure. Take your time..
Rich:)