Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Driver heating up?

Ok, i guess i will go and try that...

PHR's are very random some died at high currents others at low.I've read people's PHRs dieing at 100mA and less and other people's PHR's even survive at currents more than 150mA.

Yeah i read somewhere... that someone tested their phr all the way to 220mW... it didn't seem like they were kidding... if that was true... that'd be so insane..well i wonder if he will give me a refund or something idk... i mean i don't blame him or anything... maybe it just was a bad diode... but why did the driver start heating up then? I mean it wasn't blazing hot though it was warm...

maybe it was heating up because the batteries fully charged will give you 12.6 volts and is more than the Rkcstr's accepted voltage and it was heating until the voltage drops.
Just a guess.

Well.. i guess this is going to answer my own question, but it's because the diode isn't functioning right then the voltage wouldn't drop because the diode wouldn't "accept" the voltage, so it was heating up.. as soon as it heated up i turned it off though.. straight to the forums and made this thread, thanks for the help +rep

mfo

Well.. i guess this is going to answer my own question, but it's because the diode isn't functioning right then the voltage wouldn't drop because the diode wouldn't "accept" the voltage, so it was heating up.. as soon as it heated up i turned it off though.. straight to the forums and made this thread, thanks for the help +rep

Even if the diode is dead, it should still have the same Vf. I know mine did when I LED'd one a while back. I guess I could be wrong though, I'm not an expert on electronic physics. I guess it heating up is plausible due to no Vf. However I would still stick a silicon diode in there which will drop the voltage by .7 volts bringing the total voltage to under 12 volts for the driver. Just my two cents maybe I'm too paranoid.

Yeah, i'm going to go and get a diode from radioshack... or something

mfo

Yeah, i'm going to go and get a diode from radioshack... or something

Do that, but I'm going to be blunt with you it already sounds like you're going to need both a new driver and laser diode.

Well, it already seems to me that i'm not going to be able to buy anything new anytime soon...so there's no point in going to radioshack anyways..

maybe it was heating up because the batteries fully charged will give you 12.6 volts and is more than the Rkcstr's accepted voltage and it was heating until the voltage drops.
Just a guess.

Isn't it normal for the dirvers to heat up? At least a component on it-i.e, resistor, diode ..etc....My 50mw DX greenie i have hooked up to a PHR at 105ish Ma's heats up, never thought of it to be a problem. Is it? (It was meant to originally run around 50mw [as that is how i bought it from DX])