Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Driver heating up?

I looked in the search bar already and i couldn't find anything specifically about this... My driver is heating up i think it's at 120mA mohrenberg set it to that i bought a complete module from him.. anyways my diode is dim and it doesn't even look like it's going 1mW honestly... The driver is a rckstr driver...

They're 10440's, but jayrob and rckstr said it was fine to use 3 10440's in the mxdl 3405 host because it would drop the voltage to 12v really fast anyways

mfo

Kind of sounds like you have a fried diode TBH. Did you wire it correctly? Jay also told me the same thing but I soldered a diode in there just to be safe cuz I have bad luck.

What does a "fried" diode look like then? I mean it was working before great.. but when i got the charger from flaminpyro and charged them it got dim.. also it started getting dim before i charged the batteries as well and it was flickering

mfo

A fried laser diode looks exactly like what you're describing, a very very dim dot. Can you disassemble the host and test the module with a 9 volt battery?

I don't have a 9v battery on hand..well this sucks.. i guess i have to build another one.. i don't really feel like having to get a flexdrive and then some rechargeable 1.5v batteries and then soldering the diode.. all seems really expensive.. i guess i give up this hobby...

Last edited:

mfo

Take out one of the batteries from the holder, and bypass it with a piece of wire so in essence you'll be using 2 batteries instead of three. Tell me what happens.

mfo

It won't even start up if i do that

Something is definitely wrong then. Sounds like your driver somehow fried, which in turn killed your LD. You have a volt meter on hand?

Yeah the batteries are all good.. i do not have a test load though

So, i'm just wondering... i guess it's my fault? Or it's still my fault that i didn't install a diode referring to the diode on the driver...that's $20 gone.. not bad i guess... just doesn't work anymore...sucks bad!

you should try contact Mohrenberg,as long as you did it all correct the problem was the diode or the driver.