Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

driver and electronics knowledge

Abray

So many members are now making their own micro drivers. Hell, I even made my own driver (not on a chip), but it was somebody else's design. I haven't designed my own cause I don't know what all those components do unless somebody explains it to me first. I sort of understand the LM317, but not really. So if you have designed your own driver, how did you learn about the components and electronics to be able to come up with your own design?

I have also found myself asking way too many questions about dirvers and components, so now its time for me to learn about them by myself.

rkcstr

Well, I guess you could say I started out not knowing very much.  Back in Nov of last year I read an article on another forum about ripping the diode out of a DVD burner and putting it in this thing called an "Aixiz" module, LOL.  I had knowledge of electronics before as I used to put together my own audio equipment and fix up broken amps off ebay, but I had never done anything like what I've done since joining here and building drivers with SMD parts and such.

The way I learned what I have is reading lots and lots (and lots!) of different projects and things from others more experienced people.  For the circuits, I looked up datasheets for the parts, read up about them and tried to get at least a basic understanding of how it all worked.

My background has never involved formal training in engineering or working with circuits aside from the two semesters of intro to Physics, LOL. So, you obviously don't need to be trained to be a hobbyist (but it helps! At least talking to those who are!).

But, if you want to build circuits, the best way (for me, anyway) is to learn by doing, looking at what has worked (and what hasn't) for others and lots of research about what you will be working with.