Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Driver and battery question

When driving an infrared or 650 NM red laser do I absolutely have to have two 18650 batteries without a boost driver? Just wondering as both dots seem very dim when driving with a linear and one 18650.... are boost drivers complicated to make? Thanks.

Not sure about your knowledge about wavelenghts so hope this helps:

Infrared or ir is -> INVISIBLE or almost invisible! (feint red dot) it can be 3W and you still wont notice the power

-> goggles are an absolute must!!

Driver info:

Here

Furtermore with a linear driver you have to have a higher voltage then the diode needs. (simply said) there are non boost driver that can operate on a single cell but only with way less powers e.g. Survival lasers drivers

Greetings,,

Not sure about your knowledge about wavelenghts so hope this helps:

Infrared or ir is -> INVISIBLE or almost invisible! (feint red dot) it can be 3W and you still wont notice the power

-> goggles are an absolute must!!

Driver info:

Here

Furtermore with a linear driver you have to have a higher voltage then the diode needs. (simply said) there are non boost driver that can operate on a single cell but only with way less powers e.g. Survival lasers drivers

Greetings,,

I know wavelengths. I have goggles for both 650nm and 808nm. My eyes are very important. What driver does the Lazerer rifle 200mw 650nm use because it is only powered by one 18650?

from what i read that driver runs at 3.7V and is most likely a round driver set at 200mA. I dont think you could add a boost driver to it. You would then need to run at 7V, that might kill the original driver.

from what i read that driver runs at 3.7V and is most likely a round driver set at 200mA. I dont think you could add a boost driver to it. You would then need to run at 7V, that might kill the original driver.

Do IR and Red diodes need a boost driver though, or can they just run on a linear like a ghost drive with one 18650 3.7v

Do IR and Red diodes need a boost driver though, or can they just run on a linear like a ghost drive with one 18650 3.7v

You won't be able to run either of those diodes using one 18650 and a GhostDrive. You'll need more voltage. Two 16340s will work fine and fit in the place of a single 18650.

Or you could use a buck driver if you wanted to drive a red or an IR diode with a single 18650.

sinner

According to my tests, 1 lithium ion with a linear driver doesnot regulate the current because the forward voltage and voltage drop requirements are not met , however at this point out of regulation it will still provide about 115mA of current with a fully charged battery.. hence a dim output.. It is out of regulation and should not be run with one battery..
Using 2x 18350 or 16340 will solve your problem..

You won't be able to run either of those diodes using one 18650 and a GhostDrive. You'll need more voltage. Two 16340s will work fine and fit in the place of a single 18650.

Or you could use a buck driver if you wanted to drive a red or an IR diode with a single 18650.

Thank you, you answered my question.

So a buck for my diodes but a boost if i was doing a 445 nm right?

Yeah. Basically if the diode's voltage requirement is more than your power source can muster, you need to boost. If the voltage requirement is less, you buck.