Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DRAGONLASERS vs SKYLASERS ?

isnt it laserbtb now, they were called sky before they bought up them or ? either way they are better dragon seems not that good..

gozert

isnt it laserbtb now, they were called sky before they bought up them or ? either way they are better dragon seems not that good..

Ehh what? Dragonlasers is still one of the better companies out there. Definitely better than LaserBTB. Sure, a couple people had gotten bad 589nm units, but other than that every laser from them is excellent and overspec. And they're CNI manufactured as well.

So my main question is for 532 pointers, when you move to a larger 808 pump diode, the beam is likely going to be more thicker and divergent? (Talking about pointers, not lab-quality lasers). :beer:

Also for the Skylasers HL, can you substitute anything for that red wire-loop safety dongle? I've seen it replaced with a simple plug. :thanks:

gozert

So my main question is for 532 pointers, when you move to a larger 808 pump diode, the beam is likely going to be more thicker and divergent? (Talking about pointers, not lab-quality lasers). :beer:

Also for the Skylasers HL, can you substitute anything for that red wire-loop safety dongle? I've seen it replaced with a simple plug. :thanks:

I think the size of the module/crystals mostly makes a beam thicker/thinner. My 200mW 532nm has a 2-3mm beam at aperture while my 35mW 532nm pointer has a beam width around 1mm.

Davidx

I like the customer service from Dragon Laser. Ordered a 635 Laserltb last week. Haven't received an email confirming they got my order. Emailed asking about it. No reply.
I here Kevin at Laserltb is quite busy and doesn't always get back in a reasonable time.

I hear they make a good laser. I just like my emails answered. Especially after I purchase something.
I've been happy with the three Dragon Lasers I own.

Pman

Generic input not specific to thread starter:
Both companies have great units and both companies have had issues. Not sure why dragon seems to get more of a pass when a problem shows up. There's been far more laserbtb group buys here and way more purchases from what I've seen so an issue with one of their units would be more common. It's my PERSONAL opinion that dragon units are too pricey. MAYBE they are worth a premium over laserbtb but not the % they are priced at.
I like many others purchased their first powerful unit (a blue 1W Spartan) for $300+ and I still have it but also remember people complaining about burnt lenses quite a bit and trying to figure out how to replace it.
I don't mention these things to get people fired up. It's just honest talk. Don't own any Jetlasers but believe they are high quality and someone just had an issue with theirs. Lasers can be finicky and every time I'm about to turn one on I can't help thinking I hope it will fire regardless of quality.
Certainly don't believe how much you pay for one is absolute proof that it must be the best. Buy what you personally think is the best for you and live with the decision. If you don't end up liking it you can always try and sell it. Don't want ANYONE to be dissatisfied or get a faulty unit regardless of who you buy from;) Wish you the best whatever you decide.
Last but not least, try to prepare yourself for something going wrong. Best not to get so hyped up about the purchase that you end up furious when something isn't right. Doesn't matter who you are or where you purchase, this hobby will eat you and your $ up if you can't handle failure.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help everyone. I bought the Skylasers HL 532 300mW. Review coming eventually. It's awesome. Beam is good and seems to stay in tight TEM00 mostly, but it's like TEM00 with some morphing smears around the central dot. You can tell by the changes in brightness (little flickers) and when it's cold it strobes a bit when turning it on. It gets pretty warm too.

Hooked up my multimeter and this thing draws 1530mA...holy cow. My SciFi 445 1.6W draws 830 - 950 or so. Is 1500mA normal for this 300mW 532? I'm thinking it's okay since it's DPSS 532 and high power, and I know DPSS is more power hungry and less efficient. It also doesn't fit an 18350 which I REALLY was hoping for. It just BARELY doesn't fit. It's not length, the diameter is just a bit too big. I have a great OLIGHT 650mAh 16340 and it lasts decently for such a high load. 1500mA is serious business from one battery. It's rated up to 1500 draw so I'm not worried. :beer: