Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dragon Lasers 1W Spartan

X FLY

You never know how they're gonna turn out when buying from chinese wholesale sites. I'd just spent the extra bux and get some batteries you can be 100% sure will work and be safe for the laser.

This is what I use: Combo Kit: 6 RCR123A 3.0V 750mAh LiFePO4 Rechargeable Batteries with a Smart Charger Tenergy 39003 You can read my Spartan review by clicking the link on my signature.

Yeah I know, but I really don't want to wait anymore for this item to come. I've ordered it almost a month ago and it still hasn't come to Croatia. Site I order it from told me, I have to wait for 2 weeks so they can make a claim.
Grrrrrr, here in Croatia aren't any good batteries available :(

I've been fond of the spartan overall, it tends to produce results WL claims but doesn't yield. It's interesting to see the switch from 18650 to a pair of 123As.

The blue color comparison is interesting too. I get the feeling indigo is probably right around 435-440 because 445 seems kinda indigo to me and your 447 looks much closer to it when placed next to the 473.

Zorgon

Hi Javorko:
In my limited experience, I think if you use any 3.0 V CR123 battery, you should be OK. I've tried both the Energizer single use (03-2020) 0211A and the rechargeable Tenergy 123A LiFePo4. They both seem to work well.
Frank at Dragon Lasers suggests that one doesn't use any 123 rated at 3.2V. Note too, that because they are stacked in series, the module is getting a nominal 6 V. As a precaution, I always give fresh, fully recharged batteries a wee bit of a drain (using something like an appropriately rated conventional bulb) to knock off the initial overcharged state that can sometime be present. I figure it's better to be safe than sorry.

A couple of pics attached taken at my remote cabin in BC (no neighbors to complain or accidentally zap). It would be interesting to have some images taken some distance away from the light source to see if the beam is truly visible at the longer ranges. Hard to do on your own and keep within the duty cycle.

Attachments

• IMGP0321.JPG
    IMGP0321.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 1,551
  • IMGP0325.JPG
    IMGP0325.JPG
    152.7 KB · Views: 1,242

Paddy

After losing my spartan over 8 months ago, i finally found it.
It'd been under a sofa in a room that gets up to about 35deg in sun and down to like 0 when it's cold out and it works the same as when i got it!
Batteries were left in and they weren't leaking or anything.

One things for sure this baby still shocks me with it'd brightness after all this time :D

I was about the purchase the WL Artic 1W, before researching it first there were many horrible reviews on it, wait times were crazy, defected lasers running at much less power then advertised, yes it is a cool hosing like a light saber, but that's all it has over the Sparton 1W. I changed my mind and went with DL 1W Sparton from all the good reviews. I own a DL viper GREEN 55mW and it's been 2 1/2 years still running as if the day I bought it. Wise decision change If I may say so....?

BTW

Wouldn't the old one be better with the attachments to increase power output?
Is this laser better than than the s3 arctic and hulk?

Jaxz

Between the Spartan and the Arctic imo, in terms of quality, Spartan is superior. In terms of the Host, Spyder III is cooler.

Paddy

I'd rather the spartan host to the wicked lasers tbh.
It's plain but has curves in the right places, feels comfy to hold and is the perfect thickness and length for me.
I'm slightly bias seems i dont own a wicked, but i'd never be willing to pay almost double the price (i think) for half the laser.
If you did like the arctic and wanted one that actually outputs 1w, there are companies like lazerer or some people have been selling the hosts themselves.

BTW

I was led to believe lazerer was a scam.They have a laser that looks like a copy of the arctic and is cheaper.I'm going to go with the spartan.

Jaxz

I'd rather the spartan host to the wicked lasers tbh.
It's plain but has curves in the right places, feels comfy to hold and is the perfect thickness and length for me.
I'm slightly bias seems i dont own a wicked, but i'd never be willing to pay almost double the price (i think) for half the laser.
If you did like the arctic and wanted one that actually outputs 1w, there are companies like lazerer or some people have been selling the hosts themselves.
I know what you are refering about, you are trying to refer to lazerer's Rifle series. tbh, the host isn't as exact or close to Arctic, so it is a poor mimic, and I personally wanted the Arctic also partly because of the side switch, does the Rifle Series has a smart Switch or side clicky as well?

One thing I dislike about the Spartan is that it's only switch on by it's rear button. I want something Side clicky, a momentary switch, not an on/off button.

All lasers imo should equip with side click to hae easy access. It doesn't matter if you have a rear key switch, as long as the rear is activated, what matters most is the to turn on the unit to my opinion is the side clicky.

After losing my spartan over 8 months ago, i finally found it.It'd been under a sofa.

:crackup:

How can a man lose his laser like that ?

It's not a ping pong ball that just rolls under a sofa and you forget about it.

A bit bizarre and funny, I have to say.

Just got my DL sparton 1W Blue, Ordered it on oct 13, it arrived today oct 31, in the USA, California no customs issues. Came in same box as the review picture and works perfect, man i must say it is an amazing laser, i have already burned lots of things! matches instantly, tape, boxs, ect. I Really like how the beam is a little wider then my green DL 55mW and is also alot brighter then it even though its blue. I do notice a small beam divergence but it really dosnt bother me. I recommend this laser %100, nice quality housing, do wish it had a quick on/off button though.

Last edited:
hey, thanks for this awesome review... I am thinking of getting this as my first laser, just a quick question... do you notice the rectangle beam ? i mean is it annoying when you are used to round beams?

Zorgon

The shape isn't that big of an issue to me, other than I'm a purist and I would prefer a tight beam with circular radius. It's impressive enough as it is, especially at dusk and great value for the money.

Enjoy & be safe,
Zorgon