Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Double ended laser

Dear Sir,
My name is Dazz Le, I'm a UK based magician from Captivating Magic.

I am writing to you in the hope of gaining your help in obtaining a laser prop. Or maybe the guidance to obtain parts to build such a thing in the UK.
In order to fully understand my request could I ask you to visit the following youtube link, (considering the nature of the request it would make things much easier to explain):

If the embedded video is not working, please click this text

In that video, a the magician uses a device in each hand that emits a beam of laser light from each end giving the ilusion he is simply holding the beam. The device in use is similar to the device in the following video:

Click here to see a similar device

It is something similar to this that i need for my own show. Actually I need at least 4 of them...
The only problem with that device is it is WAAAY to big to be concealed in the hand. My suggestion is to have the power source in a different location to the actual laser diodes, maybe have the device built into a glove, with the power on the back of the hand???????

I am under the assumption that the laser diodes required are 200mw with a wavelength of 532nm and fitted with a beam expander, the beam needs to be visible but diluted the intensity of the beam in case eye contact occurs.

If this is a project you'd be interested in helping me with I'd be very greatful.

Funding is available. Just not stupid prices...

Please excuse if my terminology is innacurate.

Thank you in advance for all interest and replies.

Dazz Le

Last edited:

So you are basically looking for 4 units like the one
in the 2nd Video in a size that can be concealed in
your hand..

Is that the jist of it...?

Jerry

Last edited:
Yes pretty much laserbee. I tried to be as detailed as possible.
That thing is huge though so i need to decrease size, while maintaining visibility and thickness of the beam, and keeping it safe.
Not only is it huge but its also very expensive. Im sure its not worth the price theyre charging

I have an idea that might help you keep it small.

You could put the whole laser assembly up your selve or somthing,
then have a fiber optic cable running down your arm.
and just have a fairly small emitter in your hand

Laser with fiber optics attached to them are not cheap, (you can't just attach any fiber optic cable to a laser)

Here is a link to one

Last edited:
Well that suggestion would certainly keep it small but I'd like to keep the expense down for now too.
My current thought is to modify a pair of cool fingerless biker gloves to have the diodes atached in the palm. Buttons for: top beam/bottom beam/both, situated in the: index/middle/ring finger natural curled position. Then the batteries located on the back of the glove.

Eat ya heart out tony stark :)

EDIT: Just noticed what your DP is lol, ignore above comment

Last edited:
What you would need is something like this back to back..

100mW industrial green laser module [OLGLM100] - $59.99 : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce

These are 11.9mm diameter... 61mm long @ 100mW output
and the drivers that work on 3-4.2VDC are already attached..

You'll need to do a Google search for some shorter modules.
Then you only need 3 switches for:-

1) Laser "A"
2) Laser "B"
3) Lasers "A" and "B"

Once you have that figured out and working you can concentrate
on expanding the beam..

Jerry

Last edited:
phoenix77 has pointed me in the direction of some awesome uk based modules.
I chose 60-80mw. These seem safe but will they be bright enough? The options go up to 150mw but safety is my highest priority.

He states hes not very good with optics though... so where do i start in getting that beam expanded?

Does a beam expander even make a laser less dangerous?
Unless you are making the beam larger than a human pupil I wouldnt think so,
but I don't know.

Last edited:
Does a beam expander even make a laser less dangerous?
Unless you are making the beam larger than a human pupil I wouldnt think so,
but I don't know.

Depends. At a certain distance with a certain focus it could certainly make it less dangerous, could also make it more dangerous again depending on focus/distance.

Either way, anything above a couple mw is dangerous and should be handled with the proper precaution. Hope you will abide by the proper safety procedures at your shows magician, could be bad for you and your clients if proper safety isn't followed.

search youtube for laserman- he and others do a stage show- somewhat magically.
however they get many flames about not being safe and accidental audience shots. so...
There are tiny one aaa green lasers that could be attached together with the right size piece of plastic/PVC pipe in such a way to hold down the momentary button for you. Green shows up very well at low powers. Even better with just a little fog/smoke in the air. Two 6$ green pointers using two aaa batts would work except for the concelment and wanting to have many switching options.

GL

hak

search youtube for laserman- he and others do a stage show- somewhat magically.
however they get many flames about not being safe and accidental audience shots. so...

Wow!? While I admit it did have some entertainment value. That is not a show I would see live. No thanks.

Look at all those direct eye shots in a dark environment no wonder they are taking flak.

Last edited:
As far as I'm concerned your the guys to talk to about this stuff. And if you think this will be to dangerous, then my journey ends here with this project. My intentions ate to expend the beam to larger than the pupil, almost lightsaber thickness. And the show will be choreographed so that the beams are never being emitted into the audience. At 60-80w power can I be expecting problems? Is it worth continuing?

One thing that has left me hope. Nightclub lasers. They are very bright and the beams are very visible. On many occasions these beams enter the pupil. Could anybody educate me on the differences in safety?

One thing that has left me hope. Nightclub lasers. They are very bright and the beams are very visible. On many occasions these beams enter the pupil. Could anybody educate me on the differences in safety?

They are only more visible because of the fog.

WL either made or were going to make a 'Sith' double ended laser of considerable power- the 'flak' for this idea was considerable too, as if one end is pointed in the safest direction , by defaut the other end was most likely NOT.

One was produced double laser by another company.

Some cool slight -of-hand can be done by having a miirror on the palm (gloved) of one hand then appearing to 'grab' the beam(let slip between fingers) then grasp the beam(close your fingers together and allow the beam to hit the mirror) and re-direct it.

Most easily figured out how he did the hanger trick. Black background and black wire .

If you look at many of those videos you will see, in some, the operator NOT wearing any eye protection- and thats a big no -no. he must have a projector built into the floor he stands on and the projector 'plays' him, not the other way around.

AFAIK those vids were not made in the USA. If so he was lucky that the Laser Police did not shut him down.

solo mi dos centavos

HK