Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Don't be the noob that posts quantity over quality.

That's a shame you feel the "noobs" are ruining your forum. In other forums I have been a long time member at I sometimes feel the same way you have expressed so I try to see the value in a persons words more by the content and knowledge rather than just date joined or rep points. So in these cases when I get frustrated I try to remember that if someone has something helpful to offer in a discussion what relevance does their time on a forum really have?

I guess to put it another way is.

This was not a problem or issue until recently and the OP obviously started this thread because he noticed what was happening. Lots of others have posted here agreeing. Why jump on me?

I guess to put it another way is.

This was not a problem or issue until recently and the OP obviously started this thread because he noticed what was happening. Lots of others have posted here agreeing. Why jump on me?

I don't know why you feel I am jumping on you. If anything I was relating to your frustration with an example of my experiences on a different forum that I am a long time member and moderator at and at times feel the same as you do. I was telling you that when I feel this way I try to see it differently so I don't get bitter about the changing landscape of the forum which is inevitable and can be a good thing as much as a bad thing.

Often times in forums replies people are speaking to the group as a whole but using a particular persons post as an example to best make their point. Although the OP was made referring to new members making empty reply's to rack up post counts, your words dismissively referred to the "noobs" in this thread particularly. This I disagree with as being the same thing because although some of us replying here may be new to LPF, the content in them does contribute to the conversation in a positive way. Probably not your intention but your reply seemed to paint with a broad brush.

USAbro

@nwfreefly-He didn't say that noobs were bad. He said that noobs posting crap where it doesn't belong to build post count. I can say I have posted crap, but not to increase post count. In fact, I don't mind if an admin lowers my count, in fact, I would appreciate it.
I think it looks kind of stupid for a member a couple months after joining to have ~1000 posts.
But post count. Bleh, who cares.

@nwfreefly-He didn't say that noobs were bad. He said that noobs posting crap where it doesn't belong to build post count. I can say I have posted crap, but not to increase post count. In fact, I don't mind if an admin lowers my count, in fact, I would appreciate it.
I think it looks kind of stupid for a member a couple months after joining to have ~1000 posts.
But post count. Bleh, who cares.

That's correct. However he used the new members replying in this thread particularly as his example which I dont feel is an accurate representation to what the OP is referring to.
I understand what he and the OP are talking about and agree. In fact I'm glad to see you are as well because many here feel you have done this, my point is that this thread isn't an accurate representation of the OP point because although many new members have added to this dicussion their points are valid and a good contribution despite time on the forum.

As I stated I don't think this was his intention but as a "noob" this is how it read and to be honest don't feel that was particularly fair or accurate.

That's correct. However he used the new members replying in this thread particularly as his example which I dont feel is an accurate representation to what the OP is referring to.
I understand what he and the OP are talking about and agree. In fact I'm glad to see you are as well because many here feel you have done this, my point is that this thread isn't an accurate representation of the OP point because although many new members have added to this dicussion their points are valid and a good contribution despite time on the forum.

As I stated I don't think this was his intention but as a "noob" this is how it read and to be honest don't feel that was particularly fair or accurate.

your assumptions on my op are correct

USAbro

I think it really has to do with maturity and time on this earth. Some new members (you included) have posted valuable information, more valuable than othres (myself included) just because your, age, maturity, and just experience.
Some noobs come here and get a bad start (not talking about myself) by being talked to as if they know nothing of the topic, where, on the other hand, they know more than the founder of the forum. Even if this is rare, it can show that it really doesn't matter if your new, or a vet; what you post is you, and even if you can hide behind your computer troll, some one greater sees it all ^.

My opinion did up my reputation, it also revealed some new enemies. I wonder how many more I might offend if I became a irrelevant post whore.

My opinion did up my reputation, it also revealed some new enemies. I wonder how many more I might offend if I became a irrelevant post whore.

Enemies? That is pretty ridiculous. Congrats on your new rep. Sorry to you both for engaging on a forum. I'm not sure what I was thinking.
Its all yours boys.
Cheers

Last edited:
I don't understand, I thought nwfreefly was a good forum member? Was he one of these "irrelevant post whore" or one of your "Enemies"? Am I? I'm very bad at interacting with people and wouldn't pick up on such things unless it was spelled out exactly what I was doing wrong.

I think a forum needs all kinds of people to function healthy. As well as the very skilled and knowledgeable members, we need some trainees/apprentices who learn (by asking stupid questions/posting bad information and get corrected/by experimenting) and who will hopefully be the skilled/knowledgeable of the future.

Teej

It is a FORUM....which does imply a certain level of interaction and discussion.

I suppose some people, as discussed in many posts above, are more social in their interactions and discussion, and, some are more formal/technical.

When a forum HAS sections to go "off topic" or of a social nature, that's typically the place TO have those types of discussions.

If a newb is here to learn, but wants to participate, what exactly WOULD they post?

If they see a cool pic, is it not OK to say "Cool Pic"? Is it better if they use more detail, and discuss the juxtaposition of the lighting and the bohemian quantum gravity aspects of the kitten chasing the laser?

I think there are some amazingly knowledgeable people here, and, some who searched for a laser pointer to use to point at a star or power point presentation...and got sucked in....and a lot between those extremes.

How do these different groups interact with each other?

Should a newb JUST say hi in the welcome, and never be heard from again unless his post is answering a technical question?

IS having a lot of posts a priority? I have yet to see anyone show the benefit.

If its to join an exclusive club, where the literati of the forum discuss world domination or whatever...WHY would a newb with no technical chops want to go THERE? Posts alone don't let them in anyway...there's a vote IIRC? So, there IS a filter at the end, and, a lot of meaningless posts don't get them past those pearly gates anyway.

I had THOUGHT reputation was a way for members to rate others in a way that made you have a clue as to if you could trust them, say in a transaction for a laser, etc....but, its seems to be more a popularity consensus? (IE: More about if they are liked or not?)

Worrying about a newbs meaningless post counts, to me at least, seems a waste of even more time than reading them. It doesn't seem to matter what their counts are.

:D

I DO think an admonition TO the the newbs to post intelligently at least IS a good thing though, as, it might make them consider whether their input WILL add anything to a discussion.

If that is the desire of the OP, it is at least a worthy attempt to winnow out some chaff from the wheat.

:thanks:

USAbro

What the admin could do, is rather than changing your status (class 1m, 2m, 3b etc) because of post count, change it buy time spent browsing the forum. This is a more accurate way to show if someone may be knowledgeable. As Teej said, posts are just posts. A noob could post 1000 one word posts and say, "let me in, please, let me in!"

Come on guys it really hurts to see people make enemies under light conditions. All of you are good people so let's see each other that way :)

Last edited:
I don't understand, I thought nwfreefly was a good forum member?
He is a good member I just wasn't agreeing with him and said stuff I probably shouldn't have. I hope he doesn't leave because of what I said.

None of you guys are my enemies sorry you all

I think it's time I take a break myself

Last edited: