Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DONE ***  BluRays again ;)  *** DONE

WahHK

Re: ***  BluRays again ;)  ***

Great news! Thank you Daedal!
[smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

danq

I just remembered a couple of Christmas gifts that need to happen... so 4 more for me! I paid with Google tonight - but did it in 2 batches because I'm pathologically unable to think ahead ::)

Can you combine all 3 of my orders (2 each, total 6) into one shipment so I don't have to sweat the wait 3 times? you can still charge me 3 x postage... ;)

btw, these diodes are starting to show up on eBay - saw one that touted the inclusion of a 'special mounting bracket'... and... you guessed it, it was just the little bracket that comes on the PS3! you could see the little flex circuit connector in there too. Talk about added value...

not that I begrudge anyone for reselling, it's not a bad idea if it's done honestly and reasonable value given. :) I've thought about converting some cheap greenies myself, and putting them up for auction... Daedal, treating these as oem parts doesn't sit wrong with you, does it?

DanQ

Daedal

Nope... Do with them as you please ;)

I'm going to be listing a diode soon on there... one with leads and already in an AixiZ module... let's see what it fetches ;D (Just doing it to compete with the other scammers... :p)

--DDL

Would I need the kit in upgrade #2 if I plan to power the LD off a 12V molex connector?

If not, I'm definitely in for at least 1 in the AixiZ module. I'll use Google Checkout as soon as I know which upgrade to buy...

Hi all
Daedal, I'm VERY interested in buying one of your lasers, I'd like to ask a few questions though-
I have an electronics bench power supply of which I can set (via two dials) the voltage up to about 30v and current limiter up to about 3 amps.
I'm hoping I can just hook up a bluray laser diode (your diode in an Aixiz module) to my bench PSU, set the controls 'carefuly' and give it a good test, would this be suitable prior to developing / buying a laser driver circuit?
If so, settings wise where would I begin? I'm thinking beginning at around 4v, current limited down to maybe 10ma, then begin raising the current limiter until it begins lasing.
Where would I stop increasing it though? I'm thinking perhaps shortly after I get a 'satisfiable' beam.  ;)
I've spent a bit of time doing electronics projects (not professionally trained though) and have learned a lot, I've even designed and built a Microcontroller house alarm system (PIC 16F877A and PICBasic!).

I'm also obviously wary about handing over some cash to somebody on the other side of the planet who I've no idea about. There's never been any justifiable way to prove the legitimacy of this sort of thing other than visit u in person! And unfortunately I'm not heading to the US any time soon!
Other than this, I'm thinking of just risking it for about 50 usd! (about £25 my money) Cant be sure yet.
Only trouble is I'm in Barcelona (I'm from the UK) all next week at Microsoft IT Forum Europe for work, so I wont be all that into choosing shelling out for a laser diode or not!  :-/
In the mean time I'll have a think about it. I love the idea of having a 'mostly blue' laser, and I can make out to people it cost me the price of a PS3!  :cool:
Thanks

Stu

Daedal

heliosphan,

I always suggest starting at 0V 0A and working your way up. The upper limit for voltage should be 5V at the most and that for current should be about 50mA. I would suggest building a simple driver rather powering the diode from a bench supply because you can't really tell if there is an initial spike form your bench supply unless you can graph it with a scope.

As about the trust issue... this is entirely up to you... I cannot make you trust me or asking you to send me money based on a post online... the best thing to do is to think about it an decide on your own. I do see your concern, but there is no way for me to justify myself to you other than with the word of all the fine people on this forum and others.

--DDL

chimo

heliosphan said:
Hi all
Daedal, I'm VERY interested in buying one of your lasers, I'd like to ask a few questions though-
I have an electronics bench power supply of which I can set (via two dials) the voltage up to about 30v and current limiter up to about 3 amps.
I'm hoping I can just hook up a bluray laser diode (your diode in an Aixiz module) to my bench PSU, set the controls 'carefuly' and give it a good test, would this be suitable prior to developing / buying a laser driver circuit?
If so, settings wise where would I begin? I'm thinking beginning at around 4v, current limited down to maybe 10ma, then begin raising the current limiter until it begins lasing.
Where would I stop increasing it though? I'm thinking perhaps shortly after I get a 'satisfiable' beam.  ;)
I've spent a bit of time doing electronics projects (not professionally trained though) and have learned a lot, I've even designed and built a Microcontroller house alarm system (PIC 16F877A and PICBasic!).

I'm also obviously wary about handing over some cash to somebody on the other side of the planet who I've no idea about. There's never been any justifiable way to prove the legitimacy of this sort of thing other than visit u in person! And unfortunately I'm not heading to the US any time soon!
Other than this, I'm thinking of just risking it for about 50 usd! (about £25 my money) Cant be sure yet.
Only trouble is I'm in Barcelona (I'm from the UK) all next week at Microsoft IT Forum Europe for work, so I wont be all that into choosing shelling out for a laser diode or not!  :-/
In the mean time I'll have a think about it. I love the idea of having a 'mostly blue' laser, and I can make out to people it cost me the price of a PS3!  :cool:
Thanks

Stu

Stu, this is the second Group Buy round for these (I received mine from the first GB). If you peruse the board a bit you will see that Daedal has an excellent reputation with lots of successful transactions. I would certainly not hestiate from purchasing from him.

Oh, and on the bench power supply, be careful because they can send some pretty high transients to the load during power on/off and possibly during adjustments. Sam's Laser FAQ is recommended reading before you get started driving laser diodes. They are much more sensitive than normal LEDs.

Good luck and welcome aboard! Cheers,

Paul

After managing to get working, and subsequent busting, the Dr. Lava GB diode I got, I'm getting two more from this one. At least I don't have to buy or rig up that power circuit again.

So put me down for two. I've already paid.

Thanks!

The diodes in the ps3 are 5 pinned right?

Wow, That link is exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you.

Gazoo

Yup I do remember...his website is outstanding..I refereed to it many times when I was working on my blu-ray.. :D

Daedal

OK... This is good :)

The GB is now done... :D :D :D

As soon as I get the money cleared from GC I will be wiring it over and will hopefully get these to everyone before the end of the month :D

Thank you all for your participation :)

--DDL