Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does Monazite fluoresce under UV light?

Yeah, it depends on the crystal size and color for quartz. I had several amethyst examples from Brazil, but the best amethyst are a deep purple color and come from Russia and places in Europe. I got some blue quartz that I found in the Blue Ridge mountains which is the best place to find that in the US according to my rock and mineral books.
Did you polish them or anything, or just leave them raw from nature?
I was just reading through this and was reminded of a small bag of rocks I'd brought back from my trip to Brazil about 15 years ago. I pulled them out and most looked to be quartz. Not really knowing anything about quartz I don't know what kinds they are.

I broke out my 405nm and aimed it on them and they glowed a pretty purple. But then sitting them on top of the laser really lit them up.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Quite a lot of samples are quartz of some kind. Different names for different variants though.

Pale yellow = Lemon Quartz
Yellow = Citrine
Purple = Amethyst
Clear = Clear Quartz/Rock Crystal
Pink = Rose Quartz
White = Milky Quartz

I'm guessing the coloring isn't very pronounced, maybe more "a hint of"?

One of them definitely looks to have a faint touch of pink.

Is there a way to better bring out the color to tell?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I'm guessing the coloring isn't very pronounced, maybe more "a hint of"?

One of them definitely looks to have a faint touch of pink.
It depends on the clarity of the sample. Rose quartz can be a quite a pale pink. Most crystals sold however have quite an obvious pink hue.
If the crystal is translucent then it could even be a piece of pink fluorite.

Fluorite does fluoresce blue. Sometimes very weakly though. The crystal will mostly just display the wavelength of the light source.

Last edited:
Did you polish them or anything, or just leave them raw from nature?
I was just reading through this and was reminded of a small bag of rocks I'd brought back from my trip to Brazil about 15 years ago. I pulled them out and most looked to be quartz. Not really knowing anything about quartz I don't know what kinds they are.

I broke out my 405nm and aimed it on them and they glowed a pretty purple. But then sitting them on top of the laser really lit them up.
That glow was just scattered laser light.

It depends on the clarity of the sample. Rose quartz can be a quite a pale pink. Most crystals sold however have quite an obvious pink hue.
If the crystal is translucent then it could even be a piece of pink fluorite.

Fluorite does fluoresce blue. Sometimes very weakly though. The crystal will mostly just display the wavelength of the light source.
I've some fluorite that fluoresces a weak orange

Sowee7

My 300mw 395nm laser can make sulfur doped glass fluoresce a nice deep red colour

Attachments

• IMG_20221107_231532.jpg
    IMG_20221107_231532.jpg
    990.2 KB · Views: 3

kecked

Buy a mantle for a camping light. I believe they are doped in thorium. Use leds instead of laser. Wider area too and safer. You can find moldivite in Europe.