Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does green sting more than red?

Ashton

I have pointed my red atek at my flesh and never felt more than some a little heat, hardly uncomfortable, much less painful. However, I point my green at my flesh and in <1 second it's stinging. In fact my finger is STILL hurting a little and it's been atleast 30-60 seconds! I have two ideas as to why

1. the green has a MUCH tighter beam (better culmination? or a property of green lasers in genneral?) while red is rather large (1/2mm green vs abour 1/2cm red)

2. blood is red, red laser is reflected (not exactly, but...) blood is red, green laser is absorbed VERY well (green and red are almost polar opposites, hense why red goggles block green light)

Which one is correct? Or am I off in left field entirely?

Ashton

That's not the point. I'm asking if it's the culmination, the color of laser vs blood, or some other factor. the black dot will always make the red sting, the green sting, or a blu, yellow, orange, white, etc sting.

yuip

You are very correct. The beam on the Atek/Glowtorch/SenTorch is very large, so that's one reason you don't feel it as well as the green. The energy is spread out over a much larger area compared to the X-85.

And yes, human flesh transmits a good bit of red light, instead of absorbing it. Try putting your thumb immediately on the X-85's aperture cap, you won't see much green go through your thumb. Do the same with the red, and it'll be a lot brighter. The color of your blood could have something to do with it, but I doubt that much of the energy is getting through the blood vessels.

You guys are going to boil your blood -- How do you eat your steaks ??

I use my 250 mW + red devices to burn liver spot off my old hands. Stings a little but go slowly !!!!

Now if it could help my foot -- I dropped a 300 lb bar of steel on my foot today at the blacksmith shop. Damn - it sure hurts now :(

Mike

Benm

Red light penetrates the skin and tissues below a fair lenght, so the heating is more distributed. At equal power and dot size, a green beam would sting more quickly because it heats the are just below the skin and little else.

Now if it could help my foot -- I dropped a 300 lb bar of steel on my foot today at the blacksmith shop.

Auch! I don't think you're supposed to burn out bruises using light of any color, bu perhaps some distributed infrared energy will help?

Ashton

@ yuip: I did just that and it hurt! lol remember divergence = size/distance (or is it d/s?) a positive number means the further away the alrger the dot, so the closer the smaller... putting my finger over the arpature and hense taking it at minimum divergence... ouch! lol

@ mike: why the heck are you blacksmithign at your age! you should know better! (lol)

@ everyone: thanks for the info! It's good to know my ideas arent all half-baked! lol

BooBoo

It depends on the colour of your skin... as 'people of colour' would feel the red sting, (per mW) as well as a Greenie.... I have heard many saying that a 125mW didnt even feel warm... but when questioned, the induviduals would usually respond that they were very pale skinned..... yet when told to put a sharpied dot on thier skin, or find a beauty-mark or freckle to point it at, and try again, they found, that yes the green stung.... as I am sure is the same with the reds... as reds will not ignite red-tipped matches unless sharpied ;)

BooBoo

Oh, and to respond to if its because blood is red... its not in the oxygen enriched cotexted when its flowing contained through your skin... it is often more of a bluish or greenish hue.... and even if that were the case....where it was red-tissue, that a red laser was aimed at, like a red laser trying to pop a red balloon, or igniting a red-tipped match, it would, yes, be reflected.....and think, even if it was being 'absorbed' by your blood, beneath your flesh....the circulation of the blood-stream would act as a natural coolant.... like a car's radiator of sorts ;)

BooBoo

Its the flesh, that gets stung, not the blood :cool:

and forgive, if its seems like spam, with the multiple posts in a row, I just have not as of yet figured out how to edit a post here yet :-/

Things

ouch mike!!!! dude i think you may want to see a doctor about that one, i don't think a laser will cut it! ;D ;D ;D ;D