Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does Anyone know what diode & driver a Thor M II has ?

Does Anyone know what diode a & driver a Thor M II has ?

Or some pictures of one or both of them, I have these pictures so far but I'd like to see the other side of the diode & the driver.....

Hi Accu,
I wish i can help you out but i don't buy Chinese lasers so i wouldn't know were to start pal. All my lasers i built with components from the states. The empty host pics i sent you had no components inside, I modded them the American way I'm not bashing Chinese manufacturing but its not for me personal choice i guess.

Rich:)

Hi Accu,
I wish i can help you out but i don't buy Chinese lasers so i wouldn't know were to start pal. All my lasers i built with components from the states. The empty host pics i sent you had no components inside, I modded them the American way I'm not bashing Chinese manufacturing but its not for me personal choice i guess.

That's kind of what I'm planning to do down the road and why I'm trying to get a idea of the kind of upgraded components that would work with my host. :beer:

Last edited:

Razako

No idea. I haven't ever taken mine apart to check. Seems like they'd probably be using a borderline driver with insufficient heatsinking from what I've heard. People who've taken apart the driver section say everything is just pasted in there with giant globs of thermal epoxy.

That's kind of what I'm planning to do down the road and why I'm trying to get a idea of the kind of upgraded components that would work with my host. :beer:

They are nice hosts i just modded one to take 2-18350's and bored out the tube the sink has a pressed in a copper sleeve. Put a462nm /2W diode in it. There some pics of it in the buy sell trade section if you need to look at what you can do with these hosts.

$60 not bad. It can be repurposed if it dies. Check out what Lifetime17 did with that style host. Once you mod the laser it is no longer the cheap piece you bought from China. Take a look at Survival Lasers for the standard host. A great way to get your hands dirty.

I had a host very similar to the thor host and I was able to fit a NUBM06 and driver in there fairly easily and it seemed to be heatsinked well. I bet most thor lasers use the A140 diodes though.

Thanks guys, I'm very handy with modding things plus I have a large part of the aircraft engine overhaul shop my father and myself use to own and operate stuffed in my garage at home plus I still have access to a lath if need be so sooner or later this laser with be modded and all the info I can get about my host and what can be done with it will help !

I'll be honest, There is nothing I like more than a good upgrade ! :lasergun:

Last edited:
Hi Accro,
Hey if you don't plan on saving that driver and diode in your Thor heat that section up with w good heat gun and push it out from the back of the tube . Looks like that's the only part thats giving you trouble .

Hi Accro,
Hey if you don't plan on saving that driver and diode in your Thor heat that section up with w good heat gun and push it out from the back of the tube . Looks like that's the only part thats giving you trouble .

From these pictures I just got it looks as if I use the right size tube I might be able to press it out and save the diode & driver without damage to them ? Maybe.......

I also have 2 copper cpu heatsink centers (Bic lighter in frame for size reference) that can be used for a upgrade project....

I feel a "Thor Z Extreme" might be in my future ! :lasergun:

Last edited:
Smoking !

For a stock Chinese made $50 dollar laser this Thor M II seems to have a pretty strong output ?

Melting a plastic LED light assy from approx. a foot away.....

If at all possible I'd like to save the diode & driver assembly........

Hey why does my youtube videos only show up as a white box ? I know youtube videos will work in these forums because I've seen them.....

Last edited:
$60 not bad. It can be repurposed if it dies. Check out what Lifetime17 did with that style host. Once you mod the laser it is no longer the cheap piece you bought from China. Take a look at Survival Lasers for the standard host. A great way to get your hands dirty.
Thanks ! That's just what I'm going to do, Any idea the max power diode setup my host could support ? and any ideas on how it could be modded to support more power in the same host ?

GSS

Thanks ! That's just what I'm going to do, Any idea the max power diode setup my host could support ? and any ideas on how it could be modded to support more power in the same host ?
I think Lifetime's build showed just about what's possible. It's honed out to even accept 2 18350's. You have access to a lathe like him plus other goodies.
Tinker away:)

diachi

Please avoid double or triple posting, use the edit button where possible.

Hi Accu,
I bored the battery tube out to take 2-18350's and
And a copper sleeve . I think it could handle some 9mm diodes but not for long cycles

Last edited:
I think Lifetime's build showed just about what's possible. It's honed out to even accept 2 18350's. You have access to a lathe like him plus other goodies.
Tinker away:)
Thanks, Now I have a somewhat plan of attack but first thing will be deciding on what upgrade diode & driver parts & pieces to get...... Decisions, Decisions........ :can: