Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does anyone even care about 473nm anymore?

OVNI

I don't think I'd get a DPSS 473nm these days. You can get very close to that by pushing some diodes, plus you get a lot more power and stability.

I already have a 462nm @ 5W which is probably being pushed up toward 470nm. But I had been reading that DPSS lasers have better beam shapes and divergence. Still not enough difference you think for that kind of money?

BTW - I also want their Beam Expander since it mates with their hosts. That's a big consideration too.

Last edited:

Not all DPSS lasers have good beam specs. My labby 473nm has a worse beam than any of my multimode diodes.

And I'll trade beam specs for stability anytime, as long as they're not worse than the high power 638nm diodes.

Gabe

Not all DPSS lasers have good beam specs. My labby 473nm has a worse beam than any of my multimode diodes.

And I'll trade beam specs for stability anytime, as long as they're not worse than the high power 638nm diodes.

Can confirm, my 300mW 532 has >2mRad divergence and mode hops like a rabbit

Guess I've been lucky. My 532nm DPSSLs are all very stable except for the cheap ones. They have good beam geometry and reasonable divergence.

Yeah I just amend the statement to say that most any well-made DPSS will typically far outclass most diode lasers. It's why a lot of scientific applications use them instead of regular diodes. In fact a large number of the diode wavelengths can also be generated via DPSS. :)

Last edited: