Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does anybody know a Keyswitch that's small and high quality?

farbe2

I need a Keyswitch for my RGB pointer. I don't want to use a cheap chines switch. I need something small and high quality.
Does someone know something?

gazer101

If you want quality, install a biometric fingerprint scanner. They aren't that expensive nowadays and can be programmed with your standard IC programming tool

farbe2

Thanks Encap. I know digikey, however i am asking if someone has experience/did already use a key switch that's deemed "good".
I could buy all of digikeys switches but would only know the "feel" / quality if they got shipped and i hold them in my own hands.

@ gazer that's a really nice idea, i will think about that. However i was at the impression that these fingerprint sensors are like cams and need a lot of processing to get useful data out.
Do you have any experience in using one?

Encap

As far as I know nobody ever ask about key switches on LPF before pr that anyone can determine what "feel" you deem right--they just want something that work reliably--doubt anyone uses them or will respond---
If you look on Digikey--e switch and C&K make good quality key switch products, not cheap however.

I would just use an adequate tail cap clicky but...

Good luck finding one if you only want a key switch with a certain feel which is not in any specs. I know what you mean but...

Last edited:

farbe2

I was expecting that more people use keyswitches with there diy high power pointers. Just like gun safes, they seem mandatory.
Cheap insurence if you will.
But i see what you mean, if nobody uses one, nobody knows a good brand. I personally did already have keyswitches from "Eaton" and some chinese ones. The Eaton ones are good quality, nice firm turning action, nice satisfying click with tactile feedback. But to big for my project. The chinese ones do not click, the key fits poorly and wiggles around, turning feels like the switch has sand in it.
Thats what i mean, the chinese one does not fit the bill. Eaton would, if it wouldn't be for the size.

The fingerprint reader seems like a nice option, i looked into it. But i see a problem: the think would use power even if turned of, and i need a uC it interface with it. Seems like "over the top" but still, its for a 3,3W RGB handheld laser pointer, soooo would fit nicely ;)

gazer101

Yeah I've only ever hooked it up to an Arduino for processing, but from some quick research I see that some of them are fully integrated. I generally keep my batteries out of lasers until use, but even if you don't I can't imagine a biometric sensor eating up much more than 160 mAh every 24h even if it is scanning constantly

Hi,
I use key switches in my hosts from time to time , I dont use glue or the jam nut . I thread the tail cap and the switch is then screwed in snug. You dont need to be picky about the choice they all serve the purpose well . You can also use the 0 ring if that are supplied with the switch . I think 12mm is the smallest one , I use 12mm 16mm and 19mm switches choose the higher amp switches but most are rated for there size.
Rich:)
33B172FC-7EEF-4548-89F2-422867EACC32.jpeg

Are you looking for a specific type of keyswitch or just any general good quality type?
Something else to consider, does it matter if the key can be removed in either position or only in off. For a laser projector I built I had to use one that could only be removed in the off positions, but they were harder to find.