Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do you think the futures owens are driven by lasers?

I was thinking about this, in friday, when I was home att my mother, and showed her my new laser (but she was not intressted). But she made food in the owen.

Then it hit me! In the future, when stronger and stronger laser been cheaper and cheaper, that the owen should be driven by lasers? Alot of lasers hotting upp the food in the owen!

Do you think that is possible?

udanis

I was thinking about this, in friday, when I was home att my mother, and showed her my new laser (but she was not intressted). But she made food in the owen.

Then it hit me! In the future, when stronger and stronger laser been cheaper and cheaper, that the owen should be driven by lasers? Alot of lasers hotting upp the food in the owen!

Do you think that is possible?

What's an owen? :p

Microwave's are where it's at!

What's an owen? :p

Microwave's are where it's at!
Sorry about my english! I mean oven!

No no, not the microwave-oven (or maybe in "that" to, a laser oven! I mean a common oven! A wich have heatcoils. Instead of the hetcoils, it would be lasers which will heat the food!

You want as even of a distribution of heat as possible when cooking. The times when you would want localized heat are very few, "creme brulee" is one: you'd have a cold base of custard covered by sugar and quickly singe the top with fire (torch lighter) to make the sugar melt an form a hard shell.

With lasers you get a concentrated point of light that will get hot. To cook evenly you'll have to move lasers around to spread that heat out. Doesnt sound practical when you can just make wire coils, run current through them and make heat that will be even throughout:)

You want as even of a distribution of heat as possible when cooking. The times when you would want localized heat are very few, "creme brulee" is one: you'd have a cold base of custard covered by sugar and quickly singe the top with fire (torch lighter) to make the sugar melt an form a hard shell.

With lasers you get a concentrated point of light that will get hot. To cook evenly you'll have to move lasers around to spread that heat out. Doesnt sound practical when you can just make wire coils, run current through them and make heat that will be even throughout:)
No, you may have right... But it was only a thougt who hit me! :yh:

Using a light source to cook food will be a slow process and impractical.

Using a laser would be even more slow and impractical.

Even if you used 1kW in total laser power, you will only manage to ablate the surface and get a nice char.
Perhaps a long wavelength between 600nm and 1200nm could penetrate deep enough through meats for more even cooking, but its still impractical. Especially for the reasons mentioned above...

Burning propane (hell, even burning wood!) is much more efficient for cooking than supplying a few tens of kiloWatts of electrical power to an oven diode array - what is, essentially, an over-engineered blowtorch.

Last edited:
Using a light source to cook food will be a slow process and impractical.

Using a laser would be even more slow and impractical.

Even if you used 1kW in total laser power, you will only manage to ablate the surface and get a nice char.
Perhaps a long wavelength between 600nm and 1200nm could penetrate deep enough through meats for more even cooking, but its still impractical. Especially for the reasons mentioned above...

Burning propane (hell, even burning wood!) is much more efficient for cooking than supplying a few tens of kiloWatts of electrical power to an oven diode array - what is, essentially, an over-engineered blowtorch.
Ok, thank you! It was just a thought! But remember where you hered it first... :yh: