Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do we still use those Dorcy Jr Hosts?

gksudo

Hey everyone.

I've been wondering about this one for a bit now since returning to the forums...

Does anybody still use these Dorcy Jr flashlights as hosts nowadays?

31lg2hVBjfL._SS500_.jpg

Anyway, I've taken the black plastic that covers the driver off, and soldered some wires to it (I've lost the LED holding piece and reflector).

Here's the unit. I used to have this as a 150mW red laser

0909112002.jpg

Kinda beat up, but when tested this puts out 550mA on my test load. To simplify things, can I still use the original driver in this host like I did with the 150mW(with resistors) laser before?

0909112003.jpg

From what I can tell, the ground wire to the bulb holder(or in this case, connection to diode) was just pressed against the main body to connect ground(not soldered). So I decided to solder into the driver directly. Was fairly easy with some flux. Though It took awhile to heat up the inner case(for ground wire) because its so well heatsinked! After soldering, the whole thing was warm, but I guess thats good!

In the second picture, the rim at the top is also ground. I'm thinking a machined heatsink thermal epoxy-ed to the case would be a great fit.

The only question I have is whether or not this driver is safe to use raw(with no resistor) with a diode that takes about 550mA or higher? Being that previous tutorials for this host called for using the built in driver, I hope its still possible.

If a high powered diode can be safely driven right off the light's driver, then I wish to buy a custom heatsink for this from one of you.

Last edited:

gksudo

So... What do you think about the driver circuitry? Can I use it? which diode of any color would be ok with its 550mA driver? Even if I'm underpowering the diode, I'd still like to see this turned into some kinda laser again.

dorcy discontinued these models but they sell the newer version of these which is slightly different.i know couple of members make heatsinks for these but i cant remember their names.

gksudo

dorcy discontinued these models but they sell the newer version of these which is slightly different.i know couple of members make heatsinks for these but i cant remember their names.

Which newer flashlight would you recommend that contains a driver suitable for a diode?

well if the driver is really unstable no diode would be good but a 445 can handle quite a bit of current some people push them upto 1.8 amps

Hey-
-two requests--

-re-size ypur pics to medium(Rt click them) and use the edit when you want to make a post right after another of yours--

the good newz- being no longer available there will be some wanting to buy that Jr.- maybe for enough for you to get a Moh kit( he is doing a run of Crees) or a Guidesman kit from another- drivers for 445 can be found cheap too-check AixiZ.com-They sell one for ~10 that does not need setting- makes ~800mW of 445- and can be also used with the 6X 405 BR diode.

The 18650 battery is used a lot and well liked.

DTR has tuts. showing how to build-lots of pics(med sized ones too!)while there are LED drivers that can run a diode you will not be saving very much $$...Many just throw them away or fashion a pill from them.welcome back---hak

Last edited:

gksudo

Hey-
-two requests--

-re-size ypur pics to medium(Rt click them) and use the edit when you want to make a post right after another of yours--

What exactly do you mean right click them? right click from where? What size dimensions should I use?

I have 1080p screen, I tend to overcompensate for the pics appearing small. :p

What exactly do you mean right click them? right click from where? What size dimensions should I use?

I have 1080p screen, I tend to overcompensate for the pics appearing small. :p

I know that feeling- I have a huge curved mirror over my waterbed
..........in one corner it reads "objects in mirror are bigger than they appear":D:wave::crackup:

Ok--right after you dwnld your pics- highlight all of them and rt click - the second option should be 're-size'
click that- the click 'med.' click advance options and then click 're-size originals -do not make copies'--this way you will not end up with two of every pic in 'your pictures' and you will always be using the correct size.

hope that helps;)