Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do I need to buy new goggles!

I ordered some goggles from O-Like with my 200mW red.

And I've been reading stories hear about them letting in >25% light :tsk:

Are these cases rare.

Also if I were to shine my 200mW through the goggles for a second to test them, will it damage the goggles.

Are dragonlasers or focalprice goggles good for red

Put a link here to the goggles, there are some crappy gogles out there which don't deserve to be called laser safety goggles. Usually errors in the description already tell enough.

Well the specs are complete BS to start with. These are not those goggles that are worthless, but I have no idea how well these perform. You can check around here if anyone has tested them.

200mW is a lot, it may do damage to the goggles if you want to test them. Take a super cheap 1mW pointer to test them, if the goggles have a high OD barely any light should pass.

Yeah I guess it's better than nothing. With the goggles, it's not really mirror reflections and direct contact i'm that worried about since I'm not stupid enough to let that happen.

It's the dot I'm worried about

Goggles protect against accidents, not just a lack of common sense. So even with all the common sense, accidents can happen.

I know hence why I'm ordering goggles.

Even if they do let an unsafe 10-15mW in. 200mW is a lot worse than 15 in the event of an accident.

Why not directly buy proper safety eyewear? Your eyes are worth quite a lot, don't compromise of their safety.

I thought the O-Like ones were proper goggles but I heard otherwise from others

Benm tested some of the anti-445nm goggles and they held up well enough, but those might be the relatively common anti-green goggles, not the anti-red kind. I don't think anyone has actually rigorously tested the o-like anti-red goggles, so to say they're good or bad is just speculation at this point.

If I buy something from o-like again, maybe I'll buy a pair to test.

If I were to shine a $2 <1mW keychain laser into my eyes while wearing good safety glasses, how bright should it appear

Don't do it. it will have a brightness over 9000!

Just point the pointer to a white paper through the goggles and compare the remaining light with a normal it room.

I heard intentionally shining lasers through goggles can damage them

I'm not too bothered. I'm very careful and it's unlikely I'll ever come point at something super reflective.

I'm just hoping these goggles with protect against reflections from burning black plastic, paper and matches

Benm

Shining a laser through goggles will damage them eventually. I tried with a 445 A140 diode running at 800 mA, and it took about a minute to chew through plastic goggles.

If your laser is focusable, just project a dot onto the wall that is a few cm in diameter, and place the goggles in the beam near the wall. This will not do any damage, at least not within several seconds, and is enough to assert wether you have a pair of protective glasses, or just green-looking-sunglasses on your hands.