Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do I Need Safety Glasses Outside?

I ordered a laser from Survival Laser. It's 1,100mW and 445nm. For safety glasses I have an Eagle Pair that I will always be wearing when doing things like burning. When I am pointing the laser outside from a window at grass and trees should I wear safety glasses? If I don't am I taking any risks that my eyes will get damaged? I won't be pointing it at like cars or stop signs but does some light still get reflected from grass and other surfaces?

Yes absolutely. Any reflective surface, glass or even lighter surfaces can reflect enough light to damage your eyes when working with lasers of that power level. Even completely outdoors you need to be careful of reflections if you are near any surfaces.

Last edited:

gozert

I personally don't bring my glasses with me outside. I don't shine at anything near me, and I make sure that something can't reflect the beam directly when shining at things further away.

Last edited:
I don't bring glasses outside when pointing at clouds or stars, you can't see the beam then. NASA didn't put a notice out to the viewing public to wear safety glasses when they recently pointed a 150 watt laser into the sky during a rocket launch. We don't wear them during laser shows either, but do something foolish and you can have a problem.

Safety is rule number one, I am sure what we sometimes do in private can be different and nothing comes of it, but that one time you screw up, it can be disaster. I treat my own laser pointers as dangerous devices, keeping them pointed down when walking with them, never out at anything and hold them where my finger can't accidentally touch the button.

Last edited:
seems like a stupid thing to do, only if u point it it up in the sky you dont need glasses.

Maybe I misunderstood his post, but I got the distinct impression from it that he's not talking about being outside and using it. He's talking about sitting inside his house and shining it outside through a window. In which case there is an absolute reflection danger.

Maybe I misunderstood his post, but I got the distinct impression from it that he's not talking about being outside and using it. He's talking about sitting inside his house and shining it outside through a window. In which case there is an absolute reflection danger.

Yes I meant I would be standing at a window and pointing the laser out at objects outside.

Yes absolutely. Any reflective surface, glass or even lighter surfaces can reflect enough light to damage your eyes when working with lasers of that power level. Even completely outdoors you need to be careful of reflections if you are near any surfaces.

If I ware safety glasses would I still see the beam of light at night time?

3Pig

You cant see the beam with glasses on, since their job is to block that wavelength, with my eagles I can see the dot, but it appears yellow not blue.

I use my goggles at all times with my 1W 445 unless Im looking at the beam or if If I know the surface Im pointing it at is a dark matte surface.

If I ware safety glasses would I still see the beam of light at night time?

As 3pig said, you won't see the beam, but you can still see the dot. If you want to see the beam go outside so you don't have to worry about reflections.

gozert

Pointing it out of your window can be very dangerous if you accidently hit the side of the window. The dot will be so bright or even reflect which can be very dangerous for your eyes. You're best off standing outside and pointing in the sky, then use your safety glasses when pointing inside.