Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do I need glasses?

Well hell, I can't seem to find the lower priced ones I had found (and ordered) initially
Red Laser Safety Goggles Glasses Protection 635 685 New - eBay (item 280628077257 end time Feb-16-11 20:20:51 PST)
There are some here but not the ones I was looking for.
I'll keep looking but you can find them as easily as I can.
The search button is your friend ^_^

http://www.bj-jjhy.com/english/LaserGlasses.html
I think I had bought mine directly from this website but they don't seem to be selling them from there anymore

Last edited:

Technically, it is a class 3b laser, and therefore the danger for the eyes is from a direct exposure or a reflective surface such as mirror, but a diffused light can't hurt your eyes.

Nevertheless, I do recommend protective goggles, especially for a close distance activities such as burning, since the dot is very bright at close range.

However, you should carefully select your goggles and consider if an OD rating of >4 such as the DL goggles is not too much.

When using 660nm/200mw laser diodes on focus, the attenuation is very strong. The beam is completeley cut off and the dot, on focus is much much more attenuated. At 30cm it becomes very small and weak and at 3m the dot is almost invisible (you can see it if is a dark room).

When I owned my DX 200mW red dilda I could very hardly see the dot while wearing DL goggles, what made me barely use them and that was quite a disappointment.

That doesn't suggest that they are no good, but you realy should match the laser power to the goggles 'power'.

@AUTO XX ----- Thank you for at least trying. I might just go with the Dragon Lasers one.

Last edited:
Hey dude. I just wanted to tell you... yes you absolutely need glasses. We aren't your parents you know so we can't tell you to wear them. A 200mw beam is enough to cause permanent and irreversible eye damage in under a second. Faster than you can blink. So if you think you can go without glasses then go for it but its very dangerous not to. I don't mean to sound like a prick or anything but I want you to understand that these things are not toys. You wouldn't look at the sun under a magnefying glass would you? If not why would you want to risk your eyes to a concentrated beam of light that could blind you. Also no looking at it from a dstance wont blind you but if you catch a reflection you can go blind. So do as you wish take the advice given or throw it away. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Ill answer then the best I can.

Hey i cnt say anything regarding ur eye care..
Do consult a good doctor for it ..

thanks........

Nobody "expects" to hit themselves in the eye. The accidents are what the goggles are protecting you from. "I'll just shine it on a diffuse surface all the time." Well that's great, but what happens when you accidentally don't?

I caught a reflection from a 1.6W 445 a few day ago.
Of course I had my sexy sunnies on and I didn't hardly notice it still kinda spooked me.
Glad I didn't cheap out on the protection :crackup:
BB is bang on when he says that accidents happen even when you plan your actions. I caught this reflection off of a juice can so it was a highly divergent reflection and the laser was already very defocused but even so, that much power to an unprotected peeper would have been VERY bad.
The light reflecting off of my face, off of a reflection was enough to startle me.
This amount of power is HUGE!

itsmei

I would strongly recommend safety glasses, if you can afford a laser you can afford safety goggles. You only have 1 set of eyes so I would take care of them!