Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DL 589nm 5mW: Aurora vs Spartan

If I were to drop coin on a 5mW Spartan, what do you all think my chances are that it'll be wildly overspec like the typical 50mW version?

Wildly overspec for a 5mW laser would be peaking 15 to 20 mW, right in the ballpark I'm looking for. 70-120 like you 50mW guys are seeing is just too much imo.

There's a good chance, although I won't guarantee anything. My two labbies I bought from DL almost turned out to be 80mW+ overspec, and many of their handheld's tend to output significantly more then what is advertised!

Maybe send an email to Adam asking for a cherry picked unit? :)

-Alex

I've been talking to Adam. Whichever direction I choose to go, he's gonna try to make sure I get a good one. I'm over thinking all of this and I have to be annoying the piss out of him, but he's been super helpful and patient. I really appreciate that guy!

I've been talking to Adam. Whichever direction I choose to go, he's gonna try to make sure I get a good one. I'm over thinking all of this and I have to be annoying the piss out of him, but he's been super helpful and patient. I really appreciate that guy!

Hehe, I do ask a lot of questions myself :D

-Alex

Lol I think it comes with the territory.

I'm trying to talk to Adam about it, but he doesn't seem to understand what I'm talking about when I ask about the 5mW Spartan. He automatically seems to think that I'm talking about an Aurora.

I'm getting a story similar to what other members have reported: the lasers won't do more than their rated power no matter what. Lol. We all know that that isn't true. ;)

I can't help but wonder if those under-spec ones from a while back were in fact what the "5mW" model is. I'd be very happy to have a Spartan doing the 20-30 peak mW of those under performing 50mW models. In fact, that would be absolutely ideal imo.

I just wish that there was real, verifyable data on this model. If I were after the higher power version, I'd be perfectly willing to drop the coin, but I'm worried that I'll spend almost $400 after shipping on this thing and it'll be dim and function terribly like the first gen 594s. :/

Last edited:
Lol I think it comes with the territory.

I'm trying to talk to Adam about it, but he doesn't seem to understand what I'm talking about when I ask about the 5mW Spartan. He automatically seems to think that I'm talking about an Aurora.

I'm getting a story similar to what other members have reported: the lasers won't do more than their rated power no matter what. Lol. We all know that that isn't true. ;)

I can't help but wonder if those under-spec ones from a while back were in fact what the "5mW" model is. I'd be very happy to have a Spartan doing the 20-30 peak mW of those under performing 50mW models. In fact, that would be absolutely ideal imo.

I just wish that there was real, verifyable data on this model. If I were after the higher power version, I'd be perfectly willing to drop the coin, but I'm worried that I'll spend almost $400 after shipping on this thing and it'll be dim and function terribly like the first gen 594s. :/

I know you want to be able to use it as a pointer. But I really think because of the exotic nature of the 589nm and the heavy price you will already be paying for even the 5mW Spartan, put the extra down and get the 50mW. I think that for how special the 589nm is regarded by a lot of us here, myself included, I think you will be doing yourself the best service by grabbing as many mWs of this wavelength as you can and just not worry about using the 589nm as a pointer. I think you will not be disappointed in forgoing the lower power once you have 50+mW of 589nm in your hand. :beer:

Have I ever shown you my 589nm Spartan pics :) ?

Never get tired of looking at this picture. it is my Spartan 589nm going through one of Dragon Lasers Diffraction Grating Transmission Beam Fans (lots of fog was also used). I highly recommend picking one up when you order your laser.

IMG_20140719_214257_352.jpg

5 second exposure shot. No fog was used!
DSC_0052_1.jpg

Last edited:

Never get tired of looking at this picture. it is my Spartan 589nm going through one of Dragon Lasers Diffraction Grating Transmission Beam Fans (lots of fog was also used). I highly recommend picking one up when you order your laser.

IMG_20140719_214257_352.jpg

5 second exposure shot. No fog was used!
DSC_0052_1.jpg

Very nice! Now I want to get a diffraction grating for mine! :kewlpics:

You jerks are really making me doubt my resolve to get a 5mW! :p :p. LOL

Fwiw though, if I could get a 5mW in either host that performed like this, I'd be effin' thrilled:

https://youtu.be/E1sJJkxSvYs

Edit- the idea of getting the 50mW version and then buying an extra tail cap for it and modifying it to attenuate the output HAS crossed my mind...

Last edited:

Davidx

Never get tired of looking at this picture. it is my Spartan 589nm going through one of Dragon Lasers Diffraction Grating Transmission Beam Fans (lots of fog was also used). I highly recommend picking one up when you order your laser

+ Rep :)
Great photos. Their diffraction gratings are wonderful. So glad I ordered them.
Top quality. I love rotating the fan model. So cool watching the multiple beams turn when you rotate it

I also have both models of their 589s. The 50mw one puts out around 100 mw
One of my favorites for sure.

Last edited:
I also have both models of their 589s. The 50mw one puts out around 100 mw
One of my favorites for sure.

Really?! :eg:

Is you 5mW a Spartan or Aurora? What kind of power does it spit out? Do you have a review on it? Pics or thoughts?

Davidx

[

Is you 5mW a Spartan or Aurora? What kind of power does it spit out? Do you have a review on it? Pics or thoughts?[/QUOTE]

My 5 mw is the Aurora. I also have a 532 and a 450 Aurora. The host on the 589
Is slightly bigger then the other two Auroras. Fatter too, though not as big as the Spartan. On my LPM it hits between 6 and 7 mW. I bought it just to have a 589 I could play with in the house. Since the Aurora is rather expensive, if I were you
I'd buy the more powerful Spartan. Way more bang for the buck.
Here's a photo. The middle one is the 5mW Aurora. And of course the big one is the Spartan. You can see its's fatter then the regular Aurora in the pic

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
My 5 mw is the Aurora. I also have a 532 and a 450 Aurora. The host on the 589
Is slightly bigger then the other two Auroras. Fatter too, though not as big as the Spartan. On my LPM it hits between 6 and 7 mW. I bought it just to have a 589 I could play with in the house. Since the Aurora is rather expensive, if I were you
I'd buy the more powerful Spartan. Way more bang for the buck.
Here's a photo. The middle one is the 5mW Aurora. And of course the big one is the Spartan. You can see its's fatter then the regular Aurora in the pic

Thanks for the reply! You kind of confirmed my suspicions about the lower power units. That was half of what helped to make my decision easier!

The other half of my decision shall be promulgated by the epiphany with which I was struck not too long ago:

I still have a 594nm module.

Granted it's a module without a driver, and it hasn't ran in eight years, but I've had it stored in a sealed container all this time. With the off the shelf 12mm 532 module kits offered by Jayrob and others, in spite of the fact that the hobby didn't have the means to fix it eight years ago, I don't see any reason why getting it running NOW should be a problem. This will give me my yellow pointer.

So, with those justifications, I too shall pursue the 50mW version. :)

Based on my own research, I feel that this is a good battery. This is my first laser thay doesn't use off the shelf batteries. Can someone confirm my suspicion?

http://www.batteryjunction.com/nitecore-nl189.html

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! You kind of confirmed my suspicions about the lower power units. That was half of what helped to make my decision easier!

The other half of my decision shall be promulgated by the epiphany with which I was struck not too long ago:

I still have a 594nm module.

Granted it's a module without a driver, and it hasn't ran in eight years, but I've had it stored in a sealed container all this time. With the off the shelf 12mm 532 module kits offered by Jayrob and others, in spite of the fact that the hobby didn't have the means to fix it eight years ago, I don't see any reason why getting it running NOW should be a problem. This will give me my yellow pointer.

So, with those justifications, I too shall pursue the 50mW version. :)

:beer: You will not be disappointed! Look forward to seeing some side by side pics of your 594nm and 589nm after you have that all squared away!

Thanks Lux!

And thanks to the rest of you for putting up with me as I went out of my way to overthink all of this as much as possible! :whistle:

Last edited:
I can convert spartan modules over to momentaries. but you'd be responsible for finding a host to put the module in after. assuming I still have parts handy....I'd have to look. though I'll also note that the spartan does definitely have a bit more mass and versatility over the aurora. but the aurora will be lighter and more ergonomic. making a 5mW spartan is pretty easy though and it'd be CW, which is a plus.

Thanks UK!

I'm leaning more and more away from the idea of nodding the Spartan though. These guys have done a really good job of talking me into just leaving it alone. :)