Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY Yellow Laser!

Hey all,
This is another "build" that I put together :)
It is incredibly simple, and is far cheaper than a real DPSS yellow laser.

beam_splitter.jpg

yellow_beam_splitter.jpg

yellow_laser_angle_from_green.jpg

BEAMSHOTS (The camera really doesn't capture the colours correctly, the yellow is even throughout the entire beam and looks way better):
yellow_beam.jpg

yellow_beam_hit_target.jpg

Parts required:
Red Laser.
Green Laser.
• (Pass red, reflect green) / (Pass green, reflet red) dichros. These look like a piece of glass with a tint, and only reflect/pass through certain wavelengths.

I used my ~250mW Red Lab laser build for the red laser part. If you haven't seen it yet, click here to check it out!
red_laser.jpg

For the green laser, I used a "10mW" 532nm DPSS green laser pointer held in a vice, running off of a DIY lab power supply @ 3V.
green_beam.jpg

The Dichro was removed from the same DVD burner that I got the red laser diode from. It is pretty small (~0.5cm²) but worked fine. I do not know the exact characteristics of this dichro, but it seems to reflect red/pass green pretty efficiently, however a bit of green is reflected too.
You can purchase a larger dichro from Flaminpyro here: FS: dichros.
dichro.jpg
dichro_beam.jpg

The calibration of the dichro and lasers was tricky, partly because of my incredibly cheap "dichro holder" but it was nice and malleable so adjustment was easy, however it slowly shifts over time (which is expected for a piece of card).

The lasers were put on the carpet so it was easy to adjust them too, and they were very stable.

This "build" was a fun learning experience. I got to learn about dichros, and combining lasers. I was amazed that the dichro from the DVD burner actually worked this well. Now I need to think of how to do a more "portable" version :thinking:
(please check out the red lab laser I linked to previously in this post (or click here), It is definately worth a read if you haven't seen it yet :))

Thanks for reading, I hope you like it ;)

Last edited:

Great job! Now you just have to put it into a handheld..lol;) Here's a post from way back, if you wanted to try that and haven't seen it already: http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/tutorial-yellow-pointer-project-cool-44427.html +1 and :beer:

Thanks man ;)
This post seems promising (have seen it before actually) but I want to find a way to do it with the parts I have. I might just mount it to a board or something (not permanently, but just so it can be moved around without things moving).

This looks so cool. I really want to do something like this but would have to find the optics which might make it a bit tricky.

Youd only need the dichros. I think I read that Flaminpyro sells them?

Anyway just had a quick search, as I thought you might be able to use the optics from a PHR sled...http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/yellow-laser-phr-sled-26396.html and it looks like you can! ;) PHRs are only $10 so that would be a cheap way of doing it. :beer:

Edit: Even better info about the sled and which optic to use...;) http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/first-rgy-spirograph-44410.html#post590595

Last edited:
Nice i'll look into that, just built my first Spirograph the other day and they are really cool.

Well if you get one of those green diodes and a red diode and you let arglaser do his beamcombining magic on it you could get yourself a pretty awesome yellow :beer:

Also good job one this one! I like it!

ARG

Wow! Good job! I tried to do this myself early in the hobby with a similar set up, but never got the alignment right on it :)