Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY RGY scanner results

Benm

Some pictures of my recently build RGY scanner, with a 200 mW red and 70 mW green, and a spacelas pt20k scanner set. Everything that could be diy-ed has been, including the beam combining optics which are based on some homebuilt adjustable mounts and a phr803 dichro (if you could call it that, its a 45 deg turning mirror coated for red and bluray).

These are just some long exposure pictures, i'll do a write up on the project later, and it still needs a case too - it takes half a table full of components to run right now.

Related threads on the construction, electronics and specs:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f47/rgy-optics-under-construction-50868.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/first-scanner-some-beams-49455.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f47/first-scanner-build-progress-49320.html

PS: The dots and lines you see on the wall behind the projections are reflections from windows behind the camera position.

Attachments

• rgy-1-s.jpg
    rgy-1-s.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 310
  • rgy-2-s.jpg
    rgy-2-s.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 270
  • rgy-3-s.jpg
    rgy-3-s.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 300
  • rgy-4-s.jpg
    rgy-4-s.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 262
  • rgy-5-s.jpg
    rgy-5-s.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 340

Some nice vivid colours there. Looks awesome. 3rd picture is my fav.

Good luck on the project

Dave

Nice!
Is there a BR added in the 4th picture, because it looks like some of the beams are white?

Benm

There is no bluray, its a camera artefact.

Even on manual white balance you get this result when the beams get close to saturating the camera. For some reason this camera renders red beams with a hint of magenta, so that combines to near white with the green when over-exposing.

The middle picture is closest to what it actually looks like, with a bright yellow spot where the scanner in instead of white (thats just overexposed).

Benm

With a bit of incense... some more pictures. Also, i've mounted the whole thing in a portable case now :)

Attachments

• yello-1.jpg
    yello-1.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 203
  • yello-2.jpg
    yello-2.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 210
  • yello-3.jpg
    yello-3.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 698
  • yello-4.jpg
    yello-4.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 212

Benm

Tnx :)

I'm still fiddling with camera settings to get the best match to what the eye sees, pictures 2 and 3 are pretty close though.

This project has been lots of fun in terms of results versus equipment used - its just a simple o-like mdoule and LOC diode that provide the light, but it is still pretty mesmerizing if you see it operating in person. It's too bad i dont have a video camera that registers it close to what you actually see with dynamic shows.

Things

I couldn't stand being in a room with that much incense, gives me headaches :p

Nice pictures though :)

Got any pictures of the test pattern on those galvo's?

Benm

It wasnt that much incense really, just 2 sticks that burned up over the course of an hour or some, plus some cigarette smoke but with the windows open... didn't even look smokey inside, but you do need some smoke or fog particles to get any sort of beam results.

I can take some pics of the ilda pattern projected onto a wall, will do next time i'm playing with it. Calibration isnt spot-on yet though. Btw, i like using the grid pattern for adjusting the galvo controllers more than the actual ilda pattern. The ilda one is more precise, but adjustment with a grid is much more intuitive for me.

Benm

Here are some pics of the pattern, its not fine tuned yet. I ran the ilda frame at 20k, but at a rather large projection angle - looks pretty decent, though the pictures are a bit blurry. I'll try to take some better ones.

Attachments

• ilda.jpg
    ilda.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 337
  • grid.jpg
    grid.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 1,611

Benm

These spacelas scanners do a very decent job for their price really - they ended up costing $135 or so shipped, but that seems worth the price. One downside is that the driver boards run really hot, so the whole thing needs some ventilation.

Also, i'm battling LFI on getting the colors right. I'm sure hardware-wise everything is working, i can see the red and green lasers respoding to windows test sounds on the respective channels. LFI seems very eager to display everything in monochrome though, still gotta figure out why.