Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY:My 1st build, a 1.5W labby for ~60$

vk2fro

his next stunt will be putting in some FS mirrors, a pbs cube and 3 more diodes for 6W of 445 action; right? :D

Stand well back, grab a a spray can, and let the laser cook it. (flash powder is optional)

Just kidding, but superheating some thermite (outside!!!!) could be fun :)

Actually CuO + Aluminum powder mixed (sensored ratio) makes and awesome target to hit with a laser or bullet even. It can be used to coat a paper target or as a loose mound. It is quite Pyrophoric stuff! Mix outdoors and away from heat or friction. Throws white hot molten Aluminum oxide and a BIG brown cloud of copper crystals into the air!

Also know as Cupric Thermite or Copper thermite.

IF you don't understand how dangerous this and other pyrotechnic mixtures are DON'T even think about trying this one. Copper thermite is quite explosive due to the extreme heat it produces in such a short time (simular to flash powder)! None the less, it is AWESOME!

BennyF

I absolutely love this. You sir have inspired me to do this. hopefully i can one up you but i won't hold my breath. this is absolutely the greatest thing. perhaps ill actually keep some of the power supply innards and use the power supply to power my laser.

I saw that EXACT finned heatsink on a random PSU I had kicking around. O well, I already glued the diode into a block of aluminum. Might mount it into a PSU but run it off of wall power and have the PSU give the voltage instead of batteries. That way, it can constantly put out power instead of slowly weakening as the batteries die. Anyway, cool build

anselm

Might mount it into a PSU but run it off of wall power and have the PSU give the voltage instead of batteries. That way, it can constantly put out power instead of slowly weakening as the batteries die.
Funny you should say that, because last week I added a "plug" to my little box,
for wall power from a transformer. Now it runs off either batteries or the wall.

I let it run for hours and hours, thanks to the transformer and the active cooling
provided by the fan. I will update some pictures later....
EDIT:
Lasing all day long, 24/7. :eg:
alldaylong.jpg

Thanks for everyones kind words!

Last edited:
I pack-ratted a power supply for my old Dell away....

Nice build. Love the Rube Goldberg look:thanks: