Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY laser project - Is it possible?

Well ive been a troller for a while and finally decided to sign up.

Anyway for my first post i was looking at things which are commercially available using lasers and thinking of ways to DIY them.

I came across something which i actually need and it got me thinking.

img.auctiva.com/imgdata/0/9/9/5/7/2/webimg/29918472_tp.jpg

Observe the image. It is of a Hair laser regrowth device. It consist of 30 4.9mW, 650nm lasers.

Since the units retail for more than 300 dollars, would one be able to build a device like this? I see other people selling hair regrowth laser products which only contain 4 - 8 lasers and some containing 30 lasers. Since a laser only cost a few dollars, a whole array of lasers will cost no more than 40 dollars. Wiring them up is a breeze.

But the main question is: Do these units use the same standard red laser that we find in our every day laser pointer? If not then where would a laser suitable be obtained and would the cost of that laser be enough to justify building your own one of these devices?

Lets get some discussion going.

I had an image here but it didnt let me put it in.

Switch

Why don't you look up more specs for that particular device and see if they're the same 5mW red diode? :p

i doubt that that thing uses regular 5 mw diodes from a laser pointer. its probably more power, and if that is the case, it will definitely cost more than a few dollars a diode.

What other specifications need to be taken into consideration to determine what type of laser is used? I thought it was all about the power(the mW rating) and the wavelength :S

Switch

Well you'll wanna know the diode specs(power,wavelength,package type,size,transverse mode maybe?,single-mode/multimode?), and also what optics are being used, like just a plain collimator or some more complex filters and coated lenses and stuff like that.If you can get all the same stuff it uses, you probably can make a more inexpensive one.Still, a device like that would probably need some kind of aproval to have permision to sell it.

Anyway I wouldn't be surprised at all if it just used crappy 5mW diodes :p, remember the laserglove that was just 4 class 3a red laser modules on a glove and went for $200+ ::)

Ive managed to obtain abit more information on a similar unit.

8 self contained 5mw, 650nm, Class IIIa Cold Rapid Fire Lasers for a total of 40mw of power output

Is this enough to determine the type of laser needed to build such a unit?

Do I smell snake oil here ?? Scalp heating may increase blood flow but if this is a cure -- I got 300 mW of RED !!

Mike

Sheeshe, whats next shining lasers on a plant to get it to grow, comon, lasers and electricity arent the cure for everything.

Seriously tho, just buy some 5mw aixis modules tape em together with ducktap and shine them on your head....

...lazer.... ;D ;D ;D

JECS

plants convert light to energy. its much the same for humans. ive even heard of a guy that eats almost nothing. he just goes outside and stares at the sun for several hours a day. they do use lasers for several procedures because the light offers several benefits.

Switch

Plants use the energy they get from light to turn nutrients they get from the ground through their roots and oxygen they get from the air into compounds they can use to grow and to stay alive.Humans also need organic compounds and salt to grow to heal and to survive and we get them from food and drinks.We get our energy from burning(as in the reaction between something and oxygen) fat.I'm pretty sure staring at the sun a few hours everyday wouldn't do much except make you blind after a while :p

I have heard of people making plants grow better by shining a light(don't think they used a laser) of a certain wavelength on them.I'm guessing that a <600nm wavelength would work best for photosynthesis, since most plants are green and green would absorb red better.

Uhh, guys, there's a whole 'nother use for lasers out there besides burning electrical tape and Pink Floyd light shows.

Low level Laser Therapy (LLLT) is hot stuff these days, with over 2000 published studies on its efficacy. Even with a lowly 5mW of red, there is a profound effect at the cellular level, called biostimulation, along with the activation of cellular second messengers that give a systemic healing effect. This is not thermal, its something different. Wounds heal faster and better, with less scar tissue. Inflammation and pain are drastically and quickly reduced. I'm not saying it'll grow a full head of luscious locks overnight...but if anything will help, lasers will.

I use LLLT every day in my chiropractic practice, and it beats the pants off of other modalities, like ultrasound and electric stim.

There's a research page at worldwideweb.lllt.nu. Check it out.

Don't use your burners, obviously, but next time you get a boo-boo, laser it for a few minutes with a red or IR and it will heal faster for sure.
Try it.

Switch

And all this time I thaught that WL's miraculous wound healing lasers were supposed to burn and cauterize your wound....that's why it didn't work.... :p I'll just try spreading the beam and shining it next time I get a nasty scratch. :D (hopefully I'll get 2 scratches to be able to only laserize one and see the difference)