Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY: How to build a ~100mW Violet Laser

Im not sure if a tutorial like this has been posted on here yet, so here it is. Ive seen the tutorials for building them inside of flashlights, but this is just the step by step, easy to follow instructional tutorial for building a 100mw+ violet laser for pretty cheap. This tutorial was created by styropyro, and once my 803t gets here im going to follow it to build my own.

Before you think "Oh that DIY stuff is too hard to understand", you should know that this guide has everything pre-calculated. In other words you don't have to know nearly anything about electronics to use this tutorial. Just follow the instructions and ask a few questions if you need to, and you should be set.

Here's the video link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVugSGldXZ8

To build a ~100mW Violet Laser, here are the parts you'll need:

A PHR-803T Sled
A 100mA Driver (Note: It is cheaper to buy from this link than the link in the video!)
An Aixiz Module

Start by pulling the Metal Protector off of the sled.
1.JPG

From there you'll see two laser diodes exposed, the one with three pins is the violet laser diode, the one with four pins is a weak Red/Ir combined diode. Practice extracting on the red/IR, if you mess up one the red/IR one it doesn't matter.
2.JPG

Next pull ot the laser diode in its mini heatsink, you may have to put a little force into breaking it off from the rest of the sled. Be careful not to touch the diode during extracting because the glass window on the from can break easily
3.JPG

After that pull the diode in its mine heatsink out by grabbing the little ribbon cable and pulling on it.
4.JPG

To get the diode out of its little heatsink, grab both sides of the heatsink with two pairs of pliers and twist in opposite directions, this will crack the heatsink metal and the diode should fall out. If it doesn't just drop out, clip at the heatsink with some diagonal cutters (or something like them) until the diode falls out.
5.JPG

Now that you have your diode exposed, treat it with care because it is very fragile, the glass window on the front of the laser diode shatters easily.
6.JPG

Now drop the laser diode in the top half of the Aixiz module, put the back half of the module over the diode pins so the diode pins fit through the small hole in the back of the module.
7.JPG

Put this diode/module "sandwich" in a vice, try to keep the laser diode as aligned straight with the Aixiz module as much as possible.
8.JPG

Tighten the vice until the laser diode is flush with the Aixiz module (the little PCB on the back won't be flush, it will stick out a little which is fine)
9.JPG

Now put the top half of the Aixiz module in the vice
10.JPG

Now turn on your soldering gun and put a blob of solder on the tip of the gun
11.JPG

Drop the blob of solder on the diode pins and use you needle nose pliers to pull the PCB off while the solder is melted. Don't keep the soldering gun on the laser diode pins for more than a few seconds because your laser diode will die if it is heated too much.
12.JPG

For what you are going to do next, you will need to use this pin-out diagram.
brpo.JPG

To make things easier, you can just break off the "Not Used" pin of the laser diode
13.JPG

Now solder the "+LD" of the driver to the positive pin on the Laser Diode, and solder the "-GD" of the driver to the negative pin of the laser diode.
14.JPG

Now screw on the back half of the Aixiz module
15.JPG

Put the spring and lens back in the module
16.JPG

Grab a power supply that puts out 7.25v-12v, a 9v battery works perfect for this. Hook it up to the laser module and you are ready for some playing around!
17.JPG

You can light matches with ease:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHNOOGg1B9A

That is all for now, I'll add more if you guys think it is needed.

Please comment on my guide, I need to know what I should change in upcoming guides/etc.

I think your next step would be to show how to put it in a host. Good job on it. I'm sure it will help out a lot of people.

remember that this was styropyro who made this, so thank him. I just thought it needed to be posted.

Idk if it should include a howto on putting it in a host. I guess that was the genius of this tutorial, the end result is small and powerful, and people can be creative in putting it inside whatever they want. I am just going to tape it to a chopstick or something to keep it rigid, unless i can get it into my intova dive light which would be very cool.

I kept this tutorial off of LPF because it is too simple to be posted on here, most people on here would think of this tutorial as common sense because DIYing has became so easy to those people. I didn't include putting it into a host for a reason, that is up to the end users imagination. I don't want to make it so easy that the end user won't be able to put any creativity into their project.

I like this tutorial. The one thing i dont know how to do is to set the right current etc. on the driver.

el-taco said:
I like this tutorial. The one thing i dont know how to do is to set the right current etc. on the driver.
You don't have to set the current, it is a fixed 100mA driver.

Does anybody else think that this really doesn't need to be posted here?

You know laserterd, if I wanted to post this here I would have posted it here myself. ::) ;D

ehh idk, you put in a lot of hard work, so might as well keep it. Its perfect for newbies who just joined though, or people without much experience with this kind of stuff.

Hello, We are supply the XBOX 360 HD-DVD laser PHR-803T sleds and other Game accessories and laser lens. your need any product, please contact us. thank you!
Web: www.laser-jp.com :)

Jayls5

The diode from that sled handles 100mW? Is this short burst only? Far from cw, right?

Jayls5 said:
The diode from that sled handles 100mW? Is this short burst only? Far from cw, right?
These can easily take 100mW CW. Most push these to 110mW-120mW, but some much higher than that, even as high as 200mW.

thanks for this guide! it's really gonna help me make my blu ray!