Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY 635nm how to

Its my first time doing something like this and i want to make a handheld 635nm laser. From what i read online, i am of the understanding that red lasers are relatively simple devices, so aside from a 635nm diode and an existing hand held red laser, what do i need/how would i go about assembling it?
thanks!

Fiddy

If you have a existing red laser set to a current which your 635 diode is happy with, it will be a straight swap, did it today with my dead LPC-826 and swapped it with a 300mW 635nm diode.

TuhOz

DTR sells nice 635nm diode/modules...
You may wanna look it up

You will have to give us some more info on your existing red laser.

the diode i was planning to get was also a 300mw, what type of laser did you transfer that diode into? the red laser i have is a AA 5mw, so what would i have to do/buy in order to make the 635nm diode work?

Fiddy

you will need a driver that can run anywhere between 300-1000mA depending on how much power you want.

flexdrive V5 will run off 2x AA batteries or 1 lithium cell.

DTR

If you are looking for all in one solution I offer a 635 module with driver combo. All you need to do is choose your current when ordering and when you get it wire it to your host. The module is case negative so it could be as easy as connecting one wire depending on the host.

Other wise if you are wanting to build it from scratch there are several linear drivers available which are the least expensive option and the very efficient Flexdrive which will buck with the 635 drawing a lot less current. About 500mA to give 800mA when the battery is at 4.2V.:beer:

Last edited: