Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY 50mW 532nm

Review of my DIY 50mW 532nm

34j7jgm.png

The story behind it
I got the host last June on my birthday as my first green laser. It was one of those "5"mW military style lasers and I loved it. Unfortunately it broke 6 months laser from the crystals getting misaligned and the dot was a lopsided mess that looked terrible. So since I loved the laser so much I decided to replace the module so I got a 50mw module from lazerer little did I know that the previous module had been 13mm and the on from lazerer was 12mm so it did not fit right I was going to send it out for a custom heatsink so it would work but I never got around to it. A little after I got the module I got a 200mW 532 from lazerer and so I did not really care about fixing my old laser anymore. Well 2 months later I sold the 200mW to get a 445nm and because it was not quite as great as I was hoping it would be. And so then I wanted a green laser and so I got some aluminum foil and tried my best to make the module fit this arrangement did work for a while but I would need to fix the aluminum foil every few weeks which became extremely annoying so I searched around my house for a small metal cylinder the perfect size and sooner or later I found an old red laser that was in a pen so I took it apart and tried it it worked perfectly and I was so happy. And as an added bonus it was slightly too large for the host and so when I screwed the top on all the way it pushes down on the button making it constant on or I can loosen it and use the button as just a clicky on/off as normal. The laser is not flawless I usually need to point it directly upward and hit it a few times for everything to make contact and it to turn on. I did use a 3.0V 16340 but then I found that the 3.6V 16340's I had where slightly longer and made it have a better connection and turn on when I wanted it too but it is still a pain in the a$$ so when I get the money and the time I will have a custom heatsink made and then the laser will finally be complete.

Spec's

Duty Cycle: 300 seconds on 30 seconds off*
Heatsink Material: Aluminum
Power Output: 50mW
Wavelength: 532nm
Operating Current: <350mA
Working Voltage: 3.0-3.7V
Battery: 16340
Dimension's: 2.5cm X 11.5cm

*Just a guess the laser never really get's hot but on the other hand I never have it on for over a minute

Laser Danger Calculations

Potential Hazard=164ft
50/50 Damage=52ft
Flash Blind=775ft
Glare=3,464ft(1/2 mile)
Distraction=34,640ft (6.5 miles)

Pictures

The Laser
531qxc.png

All the Parts
117916g.png

With The "module extender"
5eiptt.png

With Heatsink
2w1xttc.png

Without the head
x200hu.png

On Desk
2uihp5e.png

Beam Shot's
o5th81.png

xp28hh.png

359wiux.png

Next to a 1W 44nm
zxs0w8.png

2hrh21i.png

2n20b9g.png

2ec0zh2.png

*Sorry for bad pictures they were taken with my phone
*I know no review is complete without an LPM test but I do not have an LPM. I hope to buy one in the summer when I get a job.
:thanks:For looking :D

Last edited: