Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY 1.8W 445nm WaterProof Jayrob's Stainless Steel C3 Build

Hey All,

Couple weeks Ago I said to myself i wanted to Make a New Waterproof Laser.
So I decided that i think it would be more fun to make one on my own again.:) Turns out it was not as hard as i thought.

I had a Kit that I purchased from Jayrob a Long Long Long time ago that i had a PHR build in.:D "A Long time ago" and Decided to take it apart and Use that.

It was a Stainless steel C3 kit from Jayrob here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-stainless-steel-c3-kit-51356.html

Lucky For me I still had everything for the Light. Since Jay gives you everything.:)

So I decided to make it as Powerful as I can since its going to be in water "Cool Water" It will just stay cool and not heat-up until i take the laser out of course. Even then the laser would be much cooler then it would normally have been so it gives me more run time.:)

Here are Some Pictures I took and a Video:

Pictures:

a1e9a65f.jpg

Since this host is a 14500 host I had to use my Custom X-Boost Drive and set it to 1.8A "1.78A" is what i get with these Resistors iam using. Since Its Pulling Alot i went with AW IMR 14500 cells. There is Short run time but of course I dont care about that. I can Always Change out the battery. No Big deal.:) Plus I wanted this to be as powerful as i could get it.

837e63d3.jpg

In order to make this work i had to use a G type lens and a Shorty Len nut. Ive been going nuts looking for more of these shorty lens but cant find them.:(

6cb80a26.jpg

With the G lens it sits PERFECT so it just about past Flush for infinity focus.:wave:

dcb3a825.jpg

You can see how everything goes in Order. I first Lubed Up the O ring and Slide it in. Then went the Glass then my Module and heatsink finally behind that which you cannot see is my Boost drive in the pill.

After that there is nothing more to do then screw everything in and put in a cell.:)

d1f796f8.jpg

e382605f.jpg

Here is a Video of the Laser in action:

This was a Fun Project to build. Ive never done one is Such a Small Host before. THe Battery Life is Not all that great but who cares.

THe Laser was actually doing a little over 2W but the Glass from the Host is Holding back ~250mW.

I so Forgot to LPM it before i took it apart so no LPM yet. I took it apart to add Modes to it and will update the thread when i do>:D Trying to figure out this new mode board iam working on.:)

Iam very happy with this Cool DIY Waterproof laser.:)

:thanks: For Looking.!!!

Last edited:

Nice lazor bro. You keep blowing my mind with these builds. I love the small builds the best, and waterproof is the cherry on top. Nice work. :beer:

:thanks: it was a Fun little build to do. Why buy one when you can make your own basically out of any host.:)

All my lasers are customs, except for 2 low mW 532s I got for winning contests, and one 5mW 405 I use to check for uranium glass when I go antique hunting.

Last edited:
All my lasers are customs, except for 2 low mW 532s I got for winning contests, and one 5mW 405 I use to check for uranium glass when I go antique hunting.

I Like to buy Just Random Lasers to LPM them and see what i get.:) Its Fun. Though there is Some laser you just cant DIY unless you buy the laser to take the module. Like 589nm For Example..

I'm a stickler for originality. Even if I had the money I dont think I'd buy retail lasers. Maybe 473, or a yellow. But I'd pull the modules and put them in a custom.

I find it very hard to pull a Module out of my 593.LOL I have so though about doing it. But until i can make my own Hosts It will have to wait.

I do prefer DIY always over buying a laser But sometimes Its Just fun to see what you will get. Iam Not talking about 500$ laser. Iam talking about cheap ones.:)

Phi got me hooked on that.:eek:

Another great build. :bowdown: Now I want to see it pop a balloon under water.

Another great build. :bowdown: Now I want to see it pop a balloon under water.

Thanks.:)

That got me Curious. I would think it would Loose Its Intensity underwater.

If I can get to it this weekend ill give it a go.:wave: Ill use a Water Balloon.:beer:

I doubt you'd pop a water balloon. The water would wick away the heat. Unlike underwater where there would be only air in the balloon. It might work though.

I doubt you'd pop a water balloon. The water would wick away the heat. Unlike underwater where there would be only air in the balloon. It might work though.

you are absolutely right i thought it would be epic to pop a water balloon but i couldnt get it to work. best i got was a pin hole you couldnt even see in but it would drip about 1 drop ever 5-10 seconds. :yabbem:

:crackup::crackup::crackup:

Ill Give it a Try. Now Iam Curious.

TJ I have not popped a Balloon or Lite a Match since i started this forum. I got sick of the smell.:p I hated having the house smell like burnt stuff for days...

Iam more into beams.:)

Ill Give it a Try. Now Iam Curious.

TJ I have not popped a Balloon or Lite a Match since i started this forum. I got sick of the smell.:p I hated having the house smell like burnt stuff for days...

Iam more into beams.:)

And with your awesome lazeerer-style fog, your beam shots are always sexy, no lie. And because of you, we don't have to get expensive fog machines to fully appreciate our ladies ;)

And I'm almost certain the water balloon will pop. It fries aiptasia behind an aquarium (with losses on the glass), so I don't think the surrounding water can cool it fast enough compared to how fast the laser is heating material up.