Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diode Spacer

Richo

Hey

I was looking for a diode pin spacer. I have seen these before and they're like a plastic thing that you can plug the diode into and solder the power supply to the spacer. I was wondering if anybody knew where to buy these and if they shipped internationally?

Richo

Awesome

Thanks Kenom, I just e-mailed them to see if they ship to Australia, because they're in Austria and I don't know if they do. This should help heaps, because I can't solder.

Thanks

Awesome

Thanks Kenom, I just e-mailed them to see if they ship to Australia, because they're in Austria and I don't know if they do. This should help heaps, because I can't solder.

Thanks

I wouldn't use a socket for a Laser Diode...IMO

Your reasoning for using the sockets doesn't hold
water...:whistle:
You still need to solder the pins of the socket...

Jerry

Richo

I could solder the power supply to the spacer. I just don't trust myself soldering near the diode, I don't want to wreck it.

I could solder the power supply to the spacer. I just don't trust myself soldering near the diode, I don't want to wreck it.

It's NOT a Spacer it is a SOCKET...

Practice soldering... and soldering the Socket will be
the same as soldering the Laser Diode...

Jerry

Richo

I'm just worried about the heat damage I could couse to the diode. I'm more than capable in soldering and by using the SOCKET I can eliminate this factor.

Thanks

I'm just worried about the heat damage I could couse to the diode. I'm more than capable in soldering and by using the SOCKET I can eliminate this factor.

Thanks
You eliminate one factor but open up a much worse one. If you know how to solder correctly, you can eliminate all of them
If the LD loses contact with the socket for even a millisecond, your LD is history.
Pins do not hold tight enough. Also, the dissimilar metals will react over time and cause a bad connection.
Using a top dollar socket on a lab laser that never gets moved is one thing, but in a pen or other portable style, it's a big no-no

Richo

Alright, now I know that the socket was too good to be true. But that still leave a problem, how do I get my self to the point where I can solder without busting the diode?

Thanks

Richo

Alright, now I know that the socket was too good to be true. But that still leave a problem, how do I get my self to the point where I can solder without busting the diode?

Thanks

Richo

It's NOT a Spacer it is a SOCKET...

Practice soldering... and soldering the Socket will be
the same as soldering the Laser Diode...

Jerry

*Wipes hands, at a job well done*

Morgan

Practice is the only way! Transistors are an obvious training ground as the spacing is very similar to LDs. Aim to reduce the soldering time slowly until you can get away with just touching the transistor leg for an instant and get a good solder joint. Pre-tin any wires BTW. When you have soldered one leg, have a cuppa, or give yourself a smoke break, whatever... Then solder the next leg. The point is, solder one leg at a time. Giving your diode time to cool will reduce the risk of over cooking it.

"When you can solder a wire or solder to a pad in the blink of an eye then you are ready Grasshopper!"

I too thought those sockets would be a neat work around but not only is the contact questionable, (and the pins on these sockets seem very easy to push through the nylon. Not a good design IMHO!), a lot of the LDs we use have legs that are shorter than when manufactured. These trimmed legs are too short to use in the sockets.

See how you go but you'll have it cracked in no time.

Enjoy.

M
:)