Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diode question

SB241

I may be answering my own question with a question, but when a diode burns out, is the diode the only thing you have you have to replace? Is the driver reusable? Or is it an unknown variable.

Just wanted to hear from the pro's what the normal course of action is.

Depends on why it blew. Even then its hit or miss. Ive burnt diodes from dropping and overheating. Ive yet to have a driver blow from this but it happens. Ive installed batteries in backwards blowing the diode and driver.

SB241

10fenny, thanks for the quick reply. I didn't think it would be that cut and dried. I'm thinking about buying a few diodes with drivers, money permitting just in case. Is that normal? Do people have more diodes than hosts. I think this is going to be a slippery slope!

Im slippin fast myself. Most of the parts I have i dont have any plans for.
Just make sure to save money on saftey!! Get goggles!!

Depends. Just the other day I had a diode get some dirt on its window. When I tried to remove said window, it fell into the diode and killed it (was either try or let the diode be useless with barely any output). However, when I turned the laser on to see if it worked, I didn't consider the possibility that the diode wouldn't be drawing any power, thus the driver was powered with no load, and died as well.

I was real happy as I'm sure you could imagine -_-

Yes if your laser quits on you it's probably either the diode or the driver but not usually both, so yes test them and reuse what still works. Before buying extra laser parts, if your going to build your own lasers then I recommend buying all the other stuff you need first and then think about buying extra laser parts.

Soldering iron, helping hands preferably with a lighted magnifier, DMM, power supply, test leads, test load, LPM, battery chargers, batteries, safety glasses, hand tools, tripods, a case to keep your lasers in, heat shrink, solder, thermal compound, thermal adhesive, wire, small neodymium magnets such as 1/8" x 1/16" and more etc. :wtf: It's no wonder I have so much trouble getting together enough money to build another laser!

Alan

Last edited:

SB241

Okay, I don't feel too bad now, it is a very slippery slope. Pi R Squared, I have about half of your list, (not the expensive half) but I have a few pairs of high quality glasses, first thing I ordered. I am working on an LPM, if I ever get a pm back from a certain member.:yh: