Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diode press tool.... 12mm modules.

Anyone have a faster way to press diodes into modules?? If I had a CNC I'd just make a jig. Using a socket and pliers works, but I'd like a fast way to mass install diodes. Thanks..

Just curious, how many diodes do you need to press?

You could use one of Flaminpyros installation tools, it would still be one at a time, but probably easier and more consistant.

I build light shows, and can get bulk diodes cheap, I really like the no press lab modules, especially for higher powers. But for 80mw and below, a 12mm copper ring module is just fine, and a lot cheaper..

I use this same tool to press my diodes. I have a large pair of channel locks to press them with. I just got my 9 mm diode extractor today because once in awhile you will get a module that isn't within the correct tolerances and you need a way to remove the diode if it doesn't seat properly. BowtieGuy made me my extractors for 5.6 mm diodes, so I now have everything I should need even if the press goes wrong.

Anthony P

Slightly off point, but the insert stiffener from a 3/8od plumbing compression fitting is the perfect size to seat 5.6 diodes

The diode presses we use screw onto the module and guide the press so that it is unlikely that the diode will shift position and press in crooked.

Much better than channel-locks use a vise or a c-clamp and lay a scrap of flat metal over your modules lens end to protect it while pressing.

My channel locks open to 4 inch jaws and I put a piece of metal over the top jaws years ago to keep them from marring any modules. They are over two feet long, so there is a great amount of pressure that can be exerted at the jaws. I have pressed well over 100 diodes this way and it works very well and amazingly fast.

Yeah, those are shorter than mine. I have a vise, but it is so much easier with these massive pliers. Much faster too. I used a piece of steel off of a cheap battery charger to cover the jaws on the upper mouth and it takes me about 30 seconds to press a diode. I cannot do that in a vise. I do get a lot of leverage from the long handles. Don't knock if you haven't tried it. ;)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO ..............LOL, Just messing with ya, hey if it works for you cool, I prefer my vise although sometimes I use a C-clamp depending on where I am working.
You have a good level of control with the vise, such as slacking up and turning it 180 mid press, but if you're happy with your pliers then KOOL :ROFLMAO:

---

Last edited:
Man, that is one well fed cat. I think it could stand to skip a few meals. Maybe that is what he is complaining about. NO, NO, NO, NO more food!

Yeah, I got that same vibe too. It looks like it is a cross between a long hair and a short hair something, with laid back ears that almost look like it has no ears at all.