Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diode Pin snap :(

Nae K

Hi guys, it's been a while I have been away from this forum :) But I was using one of my m140 diodes in dtr's copper hosts when it started being weird. So I opened it up to see that my positive pin on one side had snapped and the wire went with it. There was is a little bit of the pin left attached to the diode but I am just going to toss it because it's not worth the trouble to try and fix it. But just wondering for the future what should I do to prevent this flexing that causes it to break like that? I'd assume not moving the laser as much so it might be my fault. Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks :)

If it snapped off using a wire, that means the driver was not attached to the diode. The only way I can see this happening is if the turning of the heat sink causes the wires to stretch. I would add length to them next time, though they shouldn't be stretched in the first place. I have always just attached the driver directly to the diode on M140s. Using a 1.8 amp X-Drive they have always worked quite well.

Nae K

If it snapped off using a wire, that means the driver was not attached to the diode. The only way I can see this happening is if the turning of the heat sink causes the wires to stretch. I would add length to them next time, though they shouldn't be stretched in the first place. I have always just attached the driver directly to the diode on M140s. Using a 1.8 amp X-Drive they have always worked quite well.
I did not think of that, that's a good idea. Thank you :)

Over the years I have made at least a dozen of these M140 laser pointers. I used the MS Envy for many of them, but those are no longer available as sinner left some time ago. Too bad as he has some of the best hosts available at very reasonable prices. I think you can still get the 1.8 amp SXD drivers, but I'm not certain of that either. That was my favorite driver along with the plain X-Drive drivers from lazeerer. They had an over temperature shut down too which came in handy as a guy I built 5 of these for had one turn on in his jacket pocket and ran the batteries down, but the laser was still good. Awesome drivers and hosts.

Nae K

Over the years I have made at least a dozen of these M140 laser pointers. I used the MS Envy for many of them, but those are no longer available as sinner left some time ago. Too bad as he has some of the best hosts available at very reasonable prices. I think you can still get the 1.8 amp SXD drivers, but I'm not certain of that either. That was my favorite driver along with the plain X-Drive drivers from lazeerer. They had an over temperature shut down too which came in handy as a guy I built 5 of these for had one turn on in his jacket pocket and ran the batteries down, but the laser was still good. Awesome drivers and hosts.
Can't imagine a laser turn on in my pocket lol... I've seen those sxd drivers around on ebay not the 1.8a they look really cool though. Def gonna look around for one.

Yeah, they had a tailcap switch that was one click on and one click off. He obviously switched it on not realizing he had done so. It burned quite a large hole in his jacket pocket and ran the batteries all the way down, but the laser was okay. I believe it was the host and the driver that kept the diode from burning out. The MS Envy host was all aluminum and was basically one piece except for the switch on the tailcap.

Hi,
If you want an SXD driver DTR has them for sale on his site. You can request him to set the driver to 1.8A or any setting up to 5A.
Rich:)

Nae K

Hi,
If you want an SXD driver DTR has them for sale on his site. You can request him to set the driver to 1.8A or any setting up to 5A.
Sweet! Been a while since I've been on his site I'll pick one up, thanks :)

Hi, My pleasure
Remember any setting over 1.8A needs a heat sink on the IC.