Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diode identification help

Oxo

Hi, I've just dissassembled replaced older DVD burner(SOSW-852S) from my notebook. I found two extremely tiny diodes, they're smaller than regular 5.6mm, both are 3 pin. I didn't even dare to remove them from their heatsinks.
It says 6x but i don't really care about power, I'd like to hook red one to resistor and make a pet toy out of it, but i can't find which one is red and which one is IR, their pinout is same, middle pin is connected to case, side pins are insulated from case. The one with bigger heatsink has some blue mark on it, the other one has red mark on it.
http://leetupload.own.cz/content/090321_175912.jpg

Nobody will be able to identify that diode from those photos, even if they were in focus. That drive is only an 8x anyway, so you shouldn't feel that bad just applying some power and seeing what happens.

Oxo

Bionic-Badger said:
Nobody will be able to identify that diode from those photos, even if they were in focus.   That drive is only an 8x anyway, so you shouldn't feel that bad just applying some power and seeing what happens.
oh ok i just thought that somebody might have seen them before. I'll just do it that way than ;)

Make sure you check the polarity for red diodes here: http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1217284580

One of your diodes will be visible red, and the other will be invisible IR. They both will have the same pin connections, so after you find the correct polarity for red diodes and hook them up you should obviously be able to tell which is which. I'd say since that's a 8X drive, don't give the diodes much more than 150mA of current..

Pinout for combined red/IR diodes is generally Case(-),PD,IR,Red when working clockwise from the case pin. I might be wrong about IR and PD, but the red is definitely the one next to the case pin on the "furthest" pin clockwise.