Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diode damage??

Matmq

Hi all been lurking for a few weeks now, hope you've all had a merry Christmas , just wondered if this diode looked damaged to you guys.

It's an ir laser out of a green laser pointer unsure on the mw , the old driver was pumping out 400ma got it at 550ma now and the diode seems happy not to warm the me117c I'm using in place of the lm317 is warmer

I have a beam and am sure I've felt a radiant heat but just can't get it to burn
Any help is much appreciated as the soldering I can figure out but the optics side of it goes straight over my head

Cheers mat

Attachments

• 20191227_142141.jpg
    20191227_142141.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 12

In this case....What you have is now extremely dangerous !! A swinging, unmounted beam....which is invisible !!! Damage to your eyesight is very possible !! THROW IT AWAY.... or use the pointer as a hammer !!! ….Really, just a friendly ...but serious suggestion !! Unless you are a Troll....in that case.....Please use the pointer as a ___ ____ !!!! hahaha

Matmq

In this case....What you have is now extremely dangerous !! A swinging, unmounted beam....which is invisible !!! Damage to your eyesight is very possible !! THROW IT AWAY.... or use the pointer as a hammer !!! ….Really, just a friendly ...but serious suggestion !! Unless you are a Troll....in that case.....Please use the pointer as a ___ ____ !!!! hahaha

Thanks it's in the bin now , I can assure you I'm not a troll I was aware of the dangers of ir and have glasses etc but only activated it when I was out the room and recorded , very time consuming but I value my eyesight the time I felt heat was due to frustration with setting it up .

I had thought the pointer was broken and just happened to notice the dim red glow (ir) and then started messing with it trying figure out the power of the ir beam .
I'll put the soldering iron away and start reading before experimenting again then

The diode was in a mount with an adjustable lense , driver heatsync etc

The idea had become to possibly make an engraver

Anyway
Thanks again

The diode looks like it has glue over the diode's window. That, or maybe just a bad photo. Of course you'll need a lens to collimate it. At that driver current it is likely only up to 500 mW which isn't really good for burning.

Matmq

Very good! We get this same kind of post every year and always respond with the same remark, DON'T LOOK AT THAT. Your response is more along the lines of someone who isn't a newbie. I think we have some bored members lately.

I get your wary as no point trying help someone who was just out waste your time , but I honestly was looking for help and curious about it and as time will tell I'm not a time waster as I'll be sticking around ,
but as I said maybe less experimenting until I have more knowledge, I do have a basic understanding of lasers watched a few vids read a bit , but thought I'd ask those with a lot more knowledge,
as a bit of knowledge and a soldering iron can get you in a world of hurt
Thanks for the replies
And hope you all had a good Christmas
Cheers
Mat

Matmq

The diode looks like it has glue over the diode's window. That, or maybe just a bad photo. Of course you'll need a lens to collimate it. At that driver current it is likely only up to 500 mW which isn't really good for burning.

Cheers mate was just curious about it , it's gone now anyway going make the CNC machine for it first whilst gaining a bit of knowledge then decide on wattage etc

Mat

LPF is a unique place !!! Really...a singular place of a passion and sharing regarding Laser light !! It is a very, very specialized place !! LPF …is a " Virtual Internet Island " ….of like minded individuals who share a common passion..." All things dealing with Coherent Light " LPF is a synergistic mix of Passion, Art and Science.....a strange brew indeed !!

Before the advent of the Internet....such a virtual gathering ….at the "Watering Hole of Photons" would not have been possible !! But....Now...it lives !!!

That said...we guard it well...and we have a real, true concern....both for old/current members....but especially....for new members as regards to safety. We likely overreact when we get a inkling of lack of knowledge that could result is someone being in harms way. THAT is ….and should be the Culture here.

We mean NO offence....We do not...and should not look down our noses....with a pompous attitude... toward the uneducated regarding the real dangers of Coherent Light. We should firstly assume....sometimes....they are just not understanding what forces they are dealing with !! It is really all our duty to educate them !!! Such a responsible attitude toward safety reasonably insures the viability of this site !!! HOWEVER ...

The Internet...is a virtual gathering of Humans....and....therefore....all manner of....er….Human Behavior ….and motivations are possible.....and...based upon past history here....justifiably ....We remain.." On Guard " against such....er…" Shennigans " and quickly reactive to any member, new or old being....well...Disingenuous.... Wheewww...How was that for being " PC "...Ouch !!….My head hurts !!! I must quickly return to my true self....least wise...I grow ill !! HAHAHAHA !!

CDBeam

HMMM...DO NOT mess with the Guards of LPF !!! Hahaha....also Matmq….you sound like a responsible adult !! Thank you and be careful !!

Attachments

• Wizzard of OZ _ Guards 2.jpg
    Wizzard of OZ _ Guards 2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I always thought those guards in the Wizard Of Oz were saying, "all we own, we owe". A nod to the great depression which was going full bore at the time the movie was made.

I like genuine posts, real interest and solving real problems... Not only for others, but for myself here too.... (re: my question in another thread) So how to make 589 in a pointer?

CVI knows, maybe badboybilly can tell me if it uses two crystals inside or not. I will try him.

Last edited:
Your picture is of the expansion element just after the doubler - not the diode. The optical train is often glued in place which accounts for the sticky mess we see here, and perhaps has something to do with why they die fairly regularly.

Reactions: GSS