Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Diode blanking....

Hi!
In a few days i'll shop a 50mW green laser pen and i'll use it on my homemade projector (i'm not able to get a DPSS module).
I don't want to write/draw with the laser, i just want to make nice beams, so I was thinking on extracting the diode module of the pen and connecting it to a transistor, then the transistor to the parallel port and with the PC make blanking like each ms.
So... Is there any danger of breaking the diode because the fast on-off like bulb?

Last edited:

you should be fine. but better if you had a driver capable of doing this and not just turning the laser on and off quickly.

michael.

The transistor should work fine and is probably the safest method of regulating current to your laser short of a full driver. I would make sure that there is a maximum current that can be passed to the laser so that you only need to worry about on and off states.

Hmm
I'm not using the transistor for regulating current, i'm using it for increasing the parallel port voltage. For protecting the port i'm using a diode
I'm just worry about the laser diode

Benm

You need to regulate the current to the diode whenever its active - that applies to both CW and pulsed operation. Post some schematics of your setup so we can have a closer look at what you are doing!

That circuit topology may be dangerous if you're using a bare laser diode. It should be okay for a green laser if you're connecting to the driver.

If you use a bare laser diode, you might want to construct something like this. Then you can apply the blanking signal to the PWM input, while ensuring that the full-on state will be current limited. Those transistor parts can be swapped out for alternates, and the post tells you how to tune the circuit for your needs.

Last edited:
Bare laser diode? Sorry but, what do you mean?
I will get a Green Laser pen and extract the Diode and the driver for it.

when talking about greens you should say "module" as of now we don't have green diodes a the hobby level.

bionic was saying your schematic doesn't look good if you are going to use only that and not a driver. by bare diode he means a diode like a red, violet, blue... that is not already hooked to a driver...

your green is a module that has an infra red diode, a crystal set and a driver. and because your green already has a driver he is saying he thinks your drawing should be fine as long as you use it with your driver too.

michael.

Last edited:
Ok, ok..
Now, final question.. I think a Green Pen has a driver, i am correct? I mean, the one that has the pot and so and so..