Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dino 405 pointer *tiny review*

Ok, so I got my 405 pointer from Dino. Specifically this one:
100mw 405nm Handheld Adjust Focus Violet Purple Blue Laser Pointer SD302(1 x 18650 included) - DinoDirect.com

Overall, it's not THAT bad for $27.46. It has no O-rings on it, and the threads are kind of rough. The button is slightly loose along with the focus when you get close to normal focus. I feel very confident in saying it is NOT 100mW. My mohrenberg phr that I recently sold, could be felt on the hand after a few seconds. This I couldn't feel on my hand even after 10 seconds. But I wasn't looking for a burner, and I did not have high hopes. I did need to clean off a bunch of crap from the lens too.

The adjustable focus is nice, along with the fact it has an extension tube to fit the 18650. If you take it off you can use a 16340 which I like. And it has a key switch.

BOTTOM LINE: Would I recommend it? Depends how much you like the host, which you may find cheaper elsewhere. I wouldn't directly recommend it to anyone though, really.

Do I regret buying it? I could have gotten something better for the price probably, but I don't really regret my purchase. Even with all the cons I listed, I actually expected worse.

Trevor

Even with all the cons I listed, I actually expected worse.

Oh DX, what have you done to us? :(

Glad you're pleased though. I love that form factor; I wish CNI sold their PGL-III-A hosts empty. ><

-Trevor

Yeah it's too bad a lot of the really good hosts come with hundreds of dollars worth of insides haha.

I need to order several different sizes of various o-rings sometime from dx just so I have them in cases like this. The threads are actually not as rough as I thought. I took a wire brush to them, and it's mainly because the factory didnt clean them off after they were cut. It's a carry-able 113mm with a 16340, and I think I'll keep it like that.

Update: I couldn't even get the thing to light a match even when focused, it barely even smoked black plastic, and the beam was very weak. So I turned the pot up to what my multimeter tells me is 115mA. Now it stings my hand after a few seconds.

I'll inform you if and when it dies. Most likely when, not if, but at least I can have some relief in the fact not many people will buy this specific pointer now after me :p

If I recall correctly around 40-50mA. Pretty ridiculously low current for an advertised 100mW 405 to be set at.

And that is a quick multimeter test with the diode removed. I re-soldered it after I finished turning the pot up. It's actually very stable output as of now. Drains 1x16340 pretty decent though, so I'm sticking with the 1x18650 and extension.

Last edited: