Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Digital and Video Camera Safety...

Jules

I have noticed on a lot of the pictures people post of their beam shots that the camera CCD appears to have some damage. Usually the multiple beam shot pics have the same spots or glitches in the same place. Any one have any suggestions on keeping your camera safe? I am about to finish a 803 blue ray and a burning red and don't want to mess up my cameras....

Thanks in advance for input on this

Jules

I doubt you can harm the CCD of a camera with a hobby laser < 1W unless you shine directly in the camera aperture. The glitches you refer to could be caused by temporary overexposure I guess. I've taken several photos of my DX200 red (up close dot and beamshots) and my cam is still fine.

my camera was damaged by a bit of stupidity, i was filming my lasershow system but a few beams hit the camera straight on - luckily the damage isn't too bad but it's fairly noticeable.

Jules

Thanks, I think the take away is "No DIrect Hits" What power output was the laser?

Jules

Jules said:
Thanks, I think the take away is "No DIrect Hits" What power output was the laser?

Jules

the power output was like 80mW of red and 10mW or so of green, not sure what exact power the camera got hit with but it wasn't a ton - probably why the damage isn't very severe

MarioMaster said:
my camera was damaged by a bit of stupidity, i was filming my lasershow system but a few beams hit the camera straight on - luckily the damage isn't too bad but it's fairly noticeable.

Same, mine got damaged while recording a 50mw green and 100mw red laser show and the beam crossed the camera.

You cant really see the major damage unless you zoom in, just 1 small 3 pixel big blob in the middle of my pictures now.

What about eye safety? Is it safe to view a laser beam through an electronic viewfinder? Since I don't know how a digital camera is done I wonder if there is a way the laser beam could arrive at the eye reflecting inside the camera!

siop

cameras have mirrors in them. You'll fry a retna just as fast looking through a camera.

LaserHawk said:
cameras have mirrors in them. You'll fry a retna just as fast looking through a camera.
I have a sony handy cam and it's a digital viewfinder so the actual laser light can't hit my eye, just fry the camera's CCD :-/ not good either way I guess

DSC06604.jpg

maxkillz said:
[quote author=LaserHawk link=1212896262/0#7 date=1225232382]cameras have mirrors in them. You'll fry a retna just as fast looking through a camera.
I have a sony handy cam and it's a digital viewfinder so the actual laser light can't hit my eye, just fry the camera's CCD  :-/ not good either way I guess

DSC06604.jpg
[/quote]
Well, better a camera than your eyes. :)

LRMNmeyer said:
[quote author=maxkillz link=1212896262/0#8 date=1225232590][quote author=LaserHawk link=1212896262/0#7 date=1225232382]cameras have mirrors in them. You'll fry a retna just as fast looking through a camera.
I have a sony handy cam and it's a digital viewfinder so the actual laser light can't hit my eye, just fry the camera's CCD :-/ not good either way I guess

DSC06604.jpg
[/quote]
Well, better a camera than your eyes. :)[/quote]
yea but I would rather it not be this particular camera that got broke, it's an antique in perfect condition and it's 12 years old you can kill my nikon thats already half dead but not my cybershot or my handycam

I was wondering earlier today, could you use nightvison goggles for safety goggles? You could still see the laser perfectly (including UV and IR!) and you would never get a direct hit, because you're just looking at mini screens up close! You would only see it as bright as the screen gets.