Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Did anyone manage to light a candle?

What I had meant was: If you are having trouble with the laser then try lighting it with a lighter *some candles don't light very well even with an open flame*.
Try a different candle.
Your focus should be about 1/16th" dot/bar or the width of the wick, if it is too fine it will just cut some wicks off. All of mine light the best when it is perfectly focused and I get that "flare" going. ^_^
Worst case scenario: hot glue a match and some gunpowder to the wick :na:

no not a hard feat all all, but as long as i am very careful with both, to me i find simple experiments enjoyable :shhh: thanks for letting me share :thanks:

I can't seem to light anything with my 445! I have it running at around 900mA (probably 1W?) and all I can do is melt through things :( I try it on black plastic, melts. I try it on paper, I get embers around the edges of the hole, but no fire. On a candle, it just cuts through the wick :(

HALP!

rev0

Have you tried blowing on it lightly, like kindling a fire (because, really, you are). Works pretty well for me, though I can only light a few materials (cardboard, candle wicks, and maybe a couple others).

Yeah -.- It may also help that I don't have steady hands? :\ I just tried it on three high quality candles, too -.-

I too, have lit a candle with my >1w 445. Sometimes, with the right candle and lightly blowing on it, takes less than a few seconds.

mod101

Try defocusing it a little, if your cutting through the wick then it means your laser energy is too concentrated, try defocusing it a tiny bit and then blow lightly.

Damnit. Just tried that and it just burnt it to the point where it eventually started smoldering and then just went away.... Now I have no wick left!

mod101

sometimes you just need to try another candle. Some candles just burn too easily. I could never light cheap small candles, if you have any others take a try. Sometimes its the candle sometimes your just steady enough who knows there are a lot of variables. If your laser can burn the wick away it has enough power its just a matter of harnessing it in the right way.

Alright, I was getting worried. And how do you go about setting FIRE to cardboard? Trick to that, too?

rev0

Alright, I was getting worried. And how do you go about setting FIRE to cardboard? Trick to that, too?

Same deal, focus it down to about a 1mm spot or so, and blow on it lightly and periodically once it starts glowing orange.

I did it! The candle, anyway. And it was with a crappy tea candle, too. I just had a high angle of attack and occasionally blew on it.

jimdt7

@Silvershot

That happens also to me when i try to light a candle with my 1,5W laser ! I burn the wick but no light !