Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Devices that use high power lasers.

AquaticHarpy

Hey, I was wondering, what consumer devices can we harvest lasers from? I recently pulled 24 2w diodes from a casio M250 projector and am working on a project with them, but I'm wondering, what else uses these diodes? There's gotta be some devices that use NUBM44'S and other high power lasers, what devices are these?

Giannis_TDM

Hey, I was wondering, what consumer devices can we harvest lasers from? I recently pulled 24 2w diodes from a M250 projector and am working on a project with them, but I'm wondering, what else uses these diodes? There's gotta be some devices that use NUBM44'S and other high power lasers, what devices are these?
Oh the Nubm44s are used in the same projectors, not the m250 specifically but other dlp hybrid projectors have them. What diodes did you get from the m250? m140s or m465s? pictures if you can please!

AquaticHarpy

What other dlp hybrid projectors specifically? I don't know which I got out of the M250, but Ill show you all~ I want to try to harvest some more, but don't know what projects in specific. Thanks all

Attachments

• IMG_20200921_091125~2.jpg
    IMG_20200921_091125~2.jpg
    664.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20200921_091130~2.jpg
    IMG_20200921_091130~2.jpg
    820.9 KB · Views: 20

BlueQ

I am afraid, there aren't too many such consumer devices. Projectors are the main purpose those high powered blue laser diodes were developed in the first place. Sure there are other high powered laser diodes used in devices, usually outside the visible spectrum, especially those to pump other high energy laser however, those usually aren't considered consumer devices. I guess these days Nichia, Sharp, Sony, Osram etc. also think about Laser CNC but devices using those diodes are not really a for the typical "consumer". Of course, there are also DVD / blu ray but I think most of them are class 3.

You might try used medical equipment also

You are more likely to find gas lasers in some of the older (10+ years) medical equipment, but there are some interesting things in some of them also.

WOW that pic......that's household extension cord wire isn't it........wow

You can attach to the factory ribbon, the cathode and anode of the 3 strings of 8 are marked at the test points on the ribbon, cut the ribbon with a razor knife and solder on your wires, but the factory lenses are not very good for focused beams and the knife edge output is crude as it only has to pump the phosphor wheel inches away.

Put a piece of packing tape across the diode bank and drill out the security screws as the permanent thread locker makes it easy to strip the heads of those tiny screws.

SANY4991.JPGSANY5545.JPG SANY4980.JPGSANY4976.JPG

These old M units are inexpensive and fun to experiment with but no need to wreck the newer units as you won't save much, just buy loose diodes as needed.

Last edited:

AquaticHarpy

A shit ton of speaker wire.. I couldn't figure out what was on it so I unsoldered and put my own wires on. I don't use the knife edger and I've gotten pretty clean beams from the lenses on it. I learned the hard way after drilling out the screws and laser lenses going everywhere. I'm still figuring it out. Wish I could figure it out with the onboard circuits

You can make a simple linear to drive the strings but those lenses really are not very good......I have torn down a few M units and seen a small lens , a medium lens and a gang lens and the medium size lens is the best but it's not an aspheric and makes wings if you try to get a good infinity focus.

What do you plan to do with your diodes ? How about a flexible membrane like a deformable rubber parabolic backing with modules mounted in a dense pattern, when drawn back at strategic points from behind the beams could be made to converge at a given point.