Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dell Notebook Help - WORST WEEKEND EVER

So the rock and roll lifestyle seems to be taking its' toll on the equipment this week, at a show on Sat one of my guys closed the cover of one of our notebooks with an altoid sitting on the palm rest and cracked the screen, last night an unruly patron was in the process of getting tossed out of a club we were playing and took out one of our light racks, 2 lasers and 2 scanners now DOA (probably repairable though) and the stand was bent up beyond repair .... MAN I need a vacation!

The help I need is from anyone who has swapped out LCD's on a Dell e1505 notebook (also similar are the 4600 and 1501) - I haven't had time to tear into it but need to order a new LCD, my dilemna is that I can get either the screen alone or the screen with the inverter, I'm assuming my inverter is OK as the damage was physical to the screen but I've never done this repair so I need some advice as to which to order...

Also, I found a nice tutorial on the disassembly of the 1505 online with great details and pics, but if someone could steer me to another site with help on this specific swap I would appreciate it greatly!

Well, onwards with another Monday - no rest for the wicked, as they say!

It might be cheaper to just buy a new netbook computer, they can be had for $150-200 if you're clever about buying them. (I recommend watching Slickdeals.net - The best coupons, lowest prices, and hottest deals. for a deal on one)

you could remove the HDD on ur broken laptop and put it in an extra case or something to get your data as well.

as for the screen replacement, google and ebay is your friend. you might find some tutorials on ebay if the seller is smart.

thanks,
Kendall

Thanks for the tip, Sk8r, the trouble is I need dual-monitor support and 473GB of storage, as well as the ability to read CDG's and DVD's... Our other 4 notebooks are all E1505's too, so I really want to keep everything consistant.

On the upside, I pulled the screen and whatnot, and was able to order a direct OEM replacement pull with a no dead pixel guarantee, inverter, cable, ready-to-roll for $69 shipped priority so I guess the problem is somewhat solved (whew!).

It's amazing how different the disassembly was on this as vs our old thinkpads we used for the shows, the Dell was really straightforward and easy to tear into, none of that "snap/click/slide" BS, really simple once I gritted my teeth and made the commitment to get it done!

Now, onto the scanners and lasers, woo hoo!

Man, that sounds like a breaze unlike the Compaq that I tore into. That thing was like a vault!!