Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Defective laser dilema

Have a brand new defective laser. (If you are interested the details are in a thread "problem with new laser")
I have two options I can think of. Would like to see if any one has any other ideas.
It is a 200mw green focusable from Lazerer. (model LZBH532-200) Cost $119.
I contacted them and they said to send it back. The cheapest shipping I can find is going to be about $40. Plus all the hassle of getting the shipping papers and special boxes for international shipping, etc.
Best case scenario if they don't try to charge me more for something is I will have a $160 unit assuming they pay return shipping.
Option no. 2 is I keep it and take it apart and buy a new 200mw module for around $70 (I've got a couple of these and had no problems.) and try to put it back together.
I'm kind of leaning toward just spending the extra $30 for the module and avoiding all the shipping BS.
I have not attempted to take it apart but it looks like front just screws in.
Has an aluminum ring around the module with two holes for a spanner wrench.
If it is put together permanently I am out $119 if I mess it up.
Any one ever take one of these apart?
Any other ideas?

Benm

I've never taken this particular laser apart, but if it has a standard sized module that you can replace, i'd probably go for that option as well.

Obviously you would have bought a VERY expensive host in th is scenario, but at least you can install a module that is known good and stable. If you go for the replacement, you lose the shipping cost, and you cannot be certain that the replacement is any better then the one you initially received.

I think I am going to keep it and try to take it apart. I do have a spare 200 module and pretty much everyone I see anywhere all look the same so I asume it will fit if it comes apart.
I guess I will get a $119 education in rebuilding a lazerer unit. Or a bunch of spare parts.

I guess I will get a $119 education in rebuilding a lazerer unit. Or a bunch of spare parts.

I'm pretty sure most of the members here who have been building lasers for a while have lost a significant amount of money on blown up diodes and broken stuff.
I know I have.
I think that replacing the module should be a simple task. Post pictures. It will be much easier for us to help you with something to look at. I wasn't able to locate the thread you referred to. Perhaps a link?

Welcome to the hobby! :)

Last edited:

Encap

Maybe ask Laserer to send you a modlue at no charge to repair it yourself.

You can send the defective one back 1st class Airmail for a couple of dollars

Can you post a pic. Or two of the laser with the part that has the spanner holes showing?

I'm pretty sure most of the members here who have been building lasers for a while have lost a significant amount of money on blown up diodes and broken stuff.
I know I have.
I think that replacing the module should be a simple task. Post pictures. It will be much easier for us to help you with something to look at. I wasn't able to locate the thread you referred to. Perhaps a link?

Welcome to the hobby! :)

http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/problem-new-laser-75632.html

Maybe ask Laserer to send you a modlue at no charge to repair it yourself.

You can send the defective one back 1st class Airmail for a couple of dollars

I did email them and said I wasn't going to bother to send it back and asked if they could give me "disassembly instructions"

Can you post a pic. Or two of the laser with the part that has the spanner holes showing?

Haven't figured out how to post pics yet. It is a flat threaded aluminum ring that tr heads into the top of the host body. The laser module screws into it.
There are two small holes, one on each side that a pin/rod would go into so you can turn it.

I took it apart. I now have a $10 host that cost me $119.
Actually I now have 4 of these. All of these things are pretty much the same. Same dia, length, switch holes, lock,etc,etc.
They are put together simply but are not designed to be taken apart easily.
Also the modules appear to be "universal" size.
I think I am going to try to make some heat sink/module holders that will fit these units.
Then it would be simple to change modules