Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Decent quality safety goggle for 445nm (blue) lasers from Europe?

rjalex

Dear friends,
total newbie here. Bought a Thor M2 445nm which came with some green tinted plastic glasses from laserpointstore.com
As I read some horror stories here on the Forum, I'd be eager to get good protective glasses for myself and my kid.
Are there good sources here in Europe (to avoid import taxes and long waiting times)?
How do I know if the ones that came with the laser are good or not (I do not have equipment to test).

Thank you

GSS

Survival Laser's has a International link. Get a pair of their Eagles for the proper wavelength.
The best pair "I believe" are the 190nm to 540nm OD5 with a VLT of 50%. The 50% lets you see the spot a little better than the cheap pair you have now. You won't see the beam from any proper glasses just the spot. Use their 10% discount for LPF members.
For $40 it's a no brainer for you and your childs eyes:) They have just about the same pair in slip over style if you happen to wear regular glasses
The glasses you have now can be ok and the best way to check them is one of the side lens guard.

Honestly, the cheap ones are a bare minimum as you've found out - Unfortunately, there's a "fire triangle" of Good, Cheap and Fast and unfortunately it's difficult to recommend making too many compromises here. If you have a limited budget - I'd give your best set of goggles to your kid and wear the set you got with your laser until you can get a better set for yourself.

Professional level goggles are not going to be necessary (they're super expensive too) - but one of the most frequently reccomended brands is Eagle Pair. Make sure the goggles you buy cover the wavelength of your laser - If you buy a set of goggles designed to block red wavelengths, they'll pass all of the blue light from your Thor laser.

I believe OdicForce in the UK sell a limited range of Eagle Pair goggles, and if you order before the end of the month you should miss the import taxes etc if we do end up crashing out of the EU with no deal...

I personally bought a set of goggles from another forum member who posted from Europe, so it might be worth having a look in the Buy/sell section of the forum to see if there's any deals.

The easiest test to do to see if your goggles are even slightly working is to point it straight through the side part of the goggles for a second or two (Of course do not wear them while you do this). If the dot you see coming through the goggles is very very dim, then they're working properly (though still may not be that suitable).

Reactions: GSS

GSS

^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^ Very well said:)
Looks like Immo was typing as I was;)

Yep I saw the "There are new posts on this thread do you want to display them" pop up as I was typing :) Thought I'd send my reply anyway - even though we basically reccomended the same goggles and way to check the existing ones...

Frozenferrari

I got one of those overspec'd knock off Thors that came with a typical pair of safety glasses, with no documentation. Likely about 1W 445, and I have a 3.5 PLE coming soon, so i began to worry and did some research.

LPF memeber MassiE46M3 created a thread and video that should be watched by all who purchase questionable lasers

I ran my own copy of the same test and check out the result-

Yep, thats atleast one complete burn through. THIS HAPPENED IN LESS THAN A 5 SECOND TOTAL RUN TEST.

Yes, you read that right... a 1W 445 blew through the supplied glasses almost as fast as it can white paper.

Head over to Gary's shop and pick up a pair of Eagles bro. $43, or your vision for life. You choose.

If you have a limited budget - I'd give your best set of goggles to your kid and wear the set you got with your laser until you can get a better set for yourself.
Damn, thats incredibly awesome humanity right there!

This forum rocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hey guys, don't forget to use Survival Lasers 10% discount code "LPF445" for all LPF members!

GSS

Yup FrozenF, that's the thing about these cheapie's. No QC as far as mixing the poly vinyl die, and lens thickness differences.
I bid and won 3 pairs for $1.00 each and 1 for .75cents. Just shows you how cheap:rolleyes: and tested and tortured them and they stood up to 5W of blue with no burn through at even 60 seconds.
Iv'e seen tests just like yours that fail miserably though..
Till members get the right ones, I hope they at least test the side guards.

Last edited:

Frozenferrari

Till members get the right ones, I hope they at least test the side guards.

I hear ya! Yeah I was fully expecting the result I got, and already planning on getting Eagles, which I immediately did.
My thinking was that if it blew through the side gaurd, it would blow through the center all the same, and thus they shouldnt be used anyway, so it didnt matter to me personally. Plus, you can still take eye damage from perripheral strikes or refractions caused by whatever damage the test did, so theyre unusable after the test no matter where the test was performed. Into the trash they went! And into the box the laser went untill the Eagles show up.
( I covered my vision with my hand for the test, by the way)

Its real shady that these knock offs advertise "safety glasses" and then the less-researched folk would trust them... Just leave them out alltogether... but I guess that would be a less enticing purchase for consumers if they did that for the same total product cost. Selfish and dangerous business practice, but hey thats why this forum is truly invaluable!

I got one of those overspec'd knock off Thors that came with a typical pair of safety glasses, with no documentation. Likely about 1W 445, and I have a 3.5 PLE coming soon, so i began to worry and did some research.

LPF memeber MassiE46M3 created a thread and video that should be watched by all who purchase questionable lasers

I ran my own copy of the same test and check out the result-
View attachment 63857

Yep, thats atleast one complete burn through. THIS HAPPENED IN LESS THAN A 5 SECOND TOTAL RUN TEST.

Yes, you read that right... a 1W 445 blew through the supplied glasses almost as fast as it can white paper.

Head over to Gary's shop and pick up a pair of Eagles bro. $43, or your vision for life. You choose.

Damn, thats incredibly awesome humanity right there!

This forum rocks.

Look, you are never going to have a laser strike your goggles for 5 seconds. They are there to protect your eyes from a very temporary strike. If you stand there and look into a beam for 5 seconds you deserve to lose your vision.

Frozenferrari

Look, you are never going to have a laser strike your goggles for 5 seconds. They are there to protect your eyes from a very temporary strike. If you stand there and look into a beam for 5 seconds you deserve to lose your vision.

ofcourse! And I would never! Im purely just trying to quantify protective qualities compared to a legit pair. StyroPyro made a youtube video showing that some of the cheap-o's even let the beam through in 0.0 seconds. Yeah, they may protect you from a beam accidentally glancing across your face. I just wouldnt ever keep them as my primary pair, ever. I'll let this rest now, sorry for so many comments lol.

Dear friends,
total newbie here. Bought a Thor M2 445nm which came with some green tinted plastic glasses from laserpointstore.com
As I read some horror stories here on the Forum, I'd be eager to get good protective glasses for myself and my kid.
Are there good sources here in Europe (to avoid import taxes and long waiting times)?
How do I know if the ones that came with the laser are good or not (I do not have equipment to test).

Thank you
repeating this part:

'' Thor M2 445nm which came with some green tinted plastic glasses from laserpointstore.com ''

Well you are not off to a good start.
Second 'error' was buying from laserpointstore.com
'We' dont shop there--nuff said..

BUt you are falling into a trap of confusion with ''some green tinted plastic glasses''

Try hard to only think of which lasers your glasses will protect your eyes.
FORGET 'green tinted' JUST call them what they ARE.. glasses for one or more lasers.
I have swell pair that cover all the basic lasers we use (visible) they work great (were $$$) and the lens is tinted a grey color-- should I call the 'grey laser glasses'?? NO
They are RGB glasses.
Call them Red and green laser glasses or green and blue or just one color.. its printed on the glasses with a number then OD. higher OD offers more protection.
I know some have purchased glasses by the lens color in the ad.. Buy red tinted (red laser glasses)and get injured by a red laser etc. I know we have one USA seller that goes by both.. gotta be very confusing to the new members here.

The important numbers (colors) are the ones printed on the frames.

LPS is NOT a part of LPF. They have ad space here and not much more--read the reviews OK?
enjoy AND be safe

hak PS addon
Since you have told us already that you are in the UK-PLEASE put that in your profile.
IT NEEDS to be there if you want help..

AND I also hope you put 'From UK' in the title of your intoduction of yurelf in our 'Welcome' section..
One the location is in your profile all we need do is mouse over your username and 'UK' will be seen there.
There are LEMs near you-- the last UKLEM in Surrfleet ( thats is not right sry_ ) lasted 3 days.. SELEM in USA is now up to 5 days long... and most say they wish it had lasted even longer.. search 'SELEM Laser' glad to give more help IF you do same by adding your location.. good luck and happy lasing.

Len in TEXAS

Last edited:
Dear friends,

Thank you

if You could have glasses for your child OR a safe locked place to keep your laser -- which would you choose?

Im sorry but as a child I played with every dangerous thing my Dad owned-- including rifles and shotguns at age 6.

Store batts NOT in the lasers and keep them elsewhere.
Glasses can give a false sense of security. VERY few keep them on --they want to see the lasers.. & why nobody wears protection at Concerts w/lasers. (except the operators).

These any good?
Thanks,
Ray
I don't know but for basically the same money you can get a known good pair from survival lasers here >