Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DealExtreme Mini Folding Tripod

I picked up this cheap tripod from DealExtreme with an order (for $5, why not?) since I've been looking for a decent table-top tripod for lasers.
I figured I'd give this one a shot.
DealExtreme: $5.00 Compact Mini Plastic Tripod for Digital Cameras

Construction and Build Quality:
I didn't expect a lot from this product, being a DealExtreme product.
It is made of plastic. The cheap kind. It is flimsy. It is Chinese mass-production child-labor quality.
However, I actually like it.
It is small. It can be folded up and stuffed into a camera bag (or laser box). The feet of the tripod are rubber and won't slip easily.

DSC08971.jpg

DSC08972copy.jpg

Functionality:
The tripod is designed to work with digital cameras. I want to use it for lasers. For this purpose, I have a clamp (also purchased from DealExtreme) which mounts onto the tripod.

It can support quite a bit of weight. It is stable with compact flashlights and any laser "pointers."

DSC08977.jpg

DSC08978.jpg

DSC08980.jpg

However, I can't imagine this tripod being very useful for anything of substantial weight, such as "heavyweight" lasers like RPLs or PGL-III-Cs. Much less an SLR. It is unstable and easily knocked off balance if it is too top-heavy.

DSC08967.jpg

DSC08982.jpg

DSC08983.jpg

Thankfully, the designer of this product gave it the gift of easy adjustment. Simply turn the knob to loosen, adjust height and balance, then turn it again to tighten.

DSC08968.jpg

DSC08969.jpg

Well... it works. Great!

Bottom Line:
"Tacos, fettuccine, linguine, martini, bikini." Anyone know what that's from?
You might as well pick up one of these and a clamp for $6 and some change next time you order from DX. It just might save your life.

Last edited:

It's gonna SAVE MY LIFE??

EDIT: 6000th post dedicated to Daniel here. WOOHOOO, I'M CLOSER TO DAVE'S SPAM COUNT!!

Reactions: Ash

Ash

I LOL'd.
Yep. @1:27 he starts (Tacos...martini, bikini), good find. +1rep :eek:

-RA-
Excellent review. I think I will totally grab a few of these from DX.
I have a few of the mini tripods, but these look way better, and more adjustable.
Thanks.

That's it Niko. I love that commercial.
And congrats on your 6000th spam!

Thanks Ash. Which is the tripod you own? Is it this: DealExtreme: $4.15 Flexible Joints Camera Tripod ?
I am not a big fan of those types, hence this purchase. The size is a big plus and it doesn't look like a tacky octopus when it's sitting on a desk.

Ash

Thanks Ash. Which is the tripod you own? Is it this: DealExtreme: $4.15 Flexible Joints Camera Tripod ?
I am not a big fan of those types, hence this purchase. The size is a big plus and it doesn't look like a tacky octopus when it's sitting on a desk.
Nope. I got 6 of the cheapest ones they got:
DealExtreme: $1.49 Mini 4-inch Metal Tripod
and added the threaded mic-clamps to hold my lazors.
But they tip pretty easily (with any laser that's too heavy). I'm hoping these will be more stable. :eek:

Nope. I got 6 of the cheapest ones they got:
DealExtreme: $1.49 Mini 4-inch Metal Tripod
and added the threaded mic-clamps to hold my lazors.
But they tip pretty easily (with any laser that's too heavy). I'm hoping these will be more stable. :eek:

This tripod seems to be pretty good.
I can rest a larger laser like my PGLs on it and it will stay put, but it has to be balanced out right. A bump may be enough to knock it off balance but it stays put if it isn't bothered.