Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

dealextreme 150mW Green Laser Pointer

nes_ds

Well most DX lasers, aka Newish lasers, are known to not have IR filters. So only a fraction of the 150mW is actually green light. I think your money would be much better invested in NOVALASERS.com, there you can get a 65mW for the same price, and it will probably appear bright then the DX unit.

chimo

You're just trying to get on Greg's (aka Senkat's) good side - not. (This is a real bug bear of his) ;)

Your statement is not fully accurate.

DX does state on their web site that the lasers don't have IR filters. However, supposedly most of them sold so far do have IR filters. Because DX gets their product from multiple suppliers, they cannot guarentee that they all have IR filters without ripping them all apart, so it's just easier for them to state that they do not have them.

nes_ds said:
Well most DX lasers, aka Newish lasers, are known to not have IR filters.

Rhith

Exactly what chimo said. But as for the power of a DX laser you cannot guarantee what power level it will be at. If you're looking for a cheap fix it's worth a try but if it is taken at customs you can't get a replacement and the product has lower quality. I would highly recommend saving up some more money and getting the Nova Lasers X-105. I have the same laser and it is AMAZING!

LarryQ

Not only have they been tried here...but they have been carefully been tested with the proper equipment.

I believe that Senkat has proven that the <50mw DX lasers do indeed have IR filters....

On the higher power DX's either the filter is unable to filter out the full amount of IR, or they do not have a filter to begin with.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a >50 Mw DX with a 10 foot pole when there are MUCH better and safer lasers available.

I think you will find on this site that only products and/or companies that DESERVE to be knocked around get KNOCKED AROUND...

Good luck to you...

LarryQ

It's true the DX lasers are kind of a crapshoot, and many have been well under-spec, but I've never seen anyone who had an under-spec laser that wasn't still a very good deal at that mW for the price they paid.

If you can save up the money, something from Optronics or Nova would be a much more reliable and better made laser, but the DX greens are a pretty fair deal. I've only seen a handful of posters here or on CPF who've had something seriously wrong with their DX green that warranted returning it.

I'd certainly give DX my money and take my chances before I bought from WL, or especially one of their other fake shell companies.

Whatever you can say about DX's green pointers, at least they don't promote or price them like they're something they're not. And if anything, like the IR filter thing, and the more expensive/better tested "true" versions, they actualy take pains to downplay their greens, than unfairly raise anyone's expectaions.

Trouble is there are plenty of you guys with heaps of money to spend, so can avoid the DX lasers, but many have not got the money, so cheap ones like DX have to do.

Remember a really good quailty laser still costs $100's of dollars, and there is the mention of the X105, but this is still a dear laser, and still less then 200mW.

i have seen the odd test here with the dx200 green and outputs 200+ mW of power.

I would rather have a 200mW laser anyday over a lower powered one, but are just so expensive and DX fits the bill for the average person.

I think many also underestimate DX. Turns out the red DX200 turns out to be a really great laser and burner.

Trouble is there are plenty of you guys with heaps of money to spend, so can avoid the DX lasers, but many have not got the money, so cheap ones like DX have to do.

Remember a really good quailty laser still costs $100's of dollars, and there is the mention of the X105, but this is still a dear laser, and still less then 200mW.

i have seen the odd test here with the dx200 green and outputs 200+ mW of power.

I would rather have a 200mW laser anyday over a lower powered one, but are just so expensive and DX fits the bill for the average person.

I think many also underestimate DX. Turns out the red DX200 turns out to be a really great laser and burner.

Razako

denodan said:

WHY did you bump this random thread from September 2007?

I have bought 6 DX lasers, so far 50% were at the output advertised, and 2 worked for less than 1 day. I paid so little, I still think the 3 good ones made it worth while, and I'll keep the "bad ones for cheap hosts for building lasers. It's up to the buyer and buyer beware does apply here.