Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dead 150mw 405nm Blu Ray Diode

Hello,

I recently bought a blu ray 150mw 405nm diode (in housing) and built a driver for it using the instuctions posted on this site (sorry, I can't remember who made the guide but it was very detailed). I built this on a solderless breadboard. Everything was working good as I was adjusting the power to the diode. I unplugged the diode housing wires from the breadboard so I could attach my digital multimeter prongs in order to see how many miliamps is was producing. I found out the driver was set to produce 70ma's of power. Then I did something stupid and forgot to discharge the capacitor on the board before re-attaching my diode (yep, I know, very dumb of me). So now (surprise,surprise) my diode emits nothing, like, no faint light or anything. So to test the bradboard I hooked it up a run of the mill LED light and it worked so i knew the driver is doing it's thing. So my question is: Is there anything else I can do to test the diode (aka take it out of the housing) or is there anything I can to to try and fix my diode.

Thanks,

jadedtool

Sometimes they fix themselves, but not usually. If it's LEDing, then it's dead. It probably died from not shorting out the driver...

Just wondering, what is the name of that diode? It was probably a PHR-803T, which is really rated for only 60mW... Any blu-ray diode running at 70mA would not produce 150mW.

Thanks for the reply. Well I can tell you that it's not LED'ing. It's producing nothing at all which is suspicious (but it was working). As for the name of the diode I don't know since I bought it off of Ebay and it came preassembled in a housing with no model #. And as for the 70ma's, I know that's not it's peak capacity I was just slowly adjusting the ma's since my driver has adjustable ma's.

Generally when you do not discharge the cap first, the sudden burst of current just melts the tiny wires connecting the laser diode. The diode itself is probbably fine, but useless.

Before you add a new LD to the breadboard put a 1ohm resistor in between the driver and the LD, you can then attach your meter without disconnecting the LD.
Use your meter, set to mv, clipped to each end of the resistor. Used this way 1mv = 1ma output.

regards rog8811

Attachments

• LM317_components_with_test_res01_001.jpg
    LM317_components_with_test_res01_001.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 2,316