Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DD-FireDragon 1000mw IR 808nm for $70 Review

It's true, but only with an IR camera you can see the beam or the dot

Nope. Every camera I've used has been able to see my IR pointer dot. The higher end ones see it like we do: a dim red. The cheaper ones capture it as a dull pinkish. My cheap nightvision set sees a huge white blob because of the blooming. It is too intense to make out the beam profile.

Arayan

Nope. Every camera I've used has been able to see my IR pointer dot. The higher end ones see it like we do: a dim red. The cheaper ones capture it as a dull pinkish. My cheap nightvision set sees a huge white blob because of the blooming. It is too intense to make out the beam profile.

I honestly don't remember as a normal camera "sees" the point of my 808 nm, but I'm absolutely sure that the beam can be seen only with an IR camera

Most cameras have filters or software to eliminate the IR in the view.
And even if they were able to see the IR, I think the beam would be so hard to see as it wouldn't cause any dust or smoke to reflect the IR energy like visible light. And as most also have some form of auto-focus the software wouldn't respond to the proper focal length making it even harder to pick-up.
But a good manual focus and exposure setting with the camera just off line with a beam might produce a nice result.
A lot of work though.
Considering the IR camera would pick it up easily with no fuss.
I could see using it as a first choice. But it isn't the ONLY choice necessarily.

It would make for a challenging project. Anyone with an IR laser want to try to make an image with a non-specialized camera ?

~400mW. Regular camera followed by IR camera:

SAM_2918.jpg

NVREC001-1.jpg

Last edited: