Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DD-FireDragon 1000mw IR 808nm for $70 Review

This is my first post/ kind of review of a supposedly 1W 808nm i just received from DD.
Firedragon-VII 808nm 1000mw Flashlight Handheld Pure Infrared Laser Pointer Pen (Certified Power Guaranteed) - DinoDirect.com

I was a little hesitant to buy it at first since DD has gotten a lot of flack both on shipping and quality, but i had heard good things about the certified power line so i decided to give it a shot.
I ordered it on July 3rd and it came on the 12th along with the ir blockers i ordered as well, i was very impressed. It also came with a battery and pretty nice carrying case, neither of which were posted on the page... so i still have some batteries i bought for it coming in the mail.

added in the black plastic cap i used to test (burned that rectangle in about 10 seconds)

The construction is pretty sturdy. It is powered by one 16340 which runs out in about half an hour of usage at best. It stays cool for about five minutes of continuous usage but after that gets pretty hot (only tested it once for fear of burning out the laser). It takes about 45 seconds to get to what seems to be peak power, at that point its burning capabilities are the best of any laser i own. I used it to light black power 10m away and it burned instantly.

I dont know if all IRs are this way, or just this one, but the closest you can focus the dot is about 40cm from the aperture. The click button seems pretty cheap and kind of loose in the off position, but sits pretty solid when in the on position. The safety lock, and key, both work perfectly, no complaints there. The LED indicator properly switches colors to indicate on and off.
I have yet to get an LMP, but i did burning tests up against my o-like original 1w which peaks around 860mw and the DD IR burns through 1cm of hard black plastic about a second faster.

All and all i am very pleased with this laser, and still cant believe the price. I would definitely recommend this laser to anyone looking to get into the IR game.

Last edited:

$70 indeed seems nice for a 1W laser, too bad you don't have an lpm yet. Do you have any idea of the beam quality? I sometimes need a 808nm laser to test DPSS crystals, and this seems to fit the purpose nicely.

$70 indeed seems nice for a 1W laser, too bad you don't have an lpm yet. Do you have any idea of the beam quality? I sometimes need a 808nm laser to test DPSS crystals, and this seems to fit the purpose nicely.

Uhm, so please forgive what is probably a stupid question.

How does one see the beam quality of a near IR laser?

Actually, just about any CCD device will pick up IR.
Try pointing a TV remote or something like it at one. Press the buttoons and you will see a white LED in the end flashing at you that you con't see normally.
A phone camera, a video camera, even a regular digital camera.
Now the trick is how well they pick it up and under what conditions will they work the best.
BTW. That's how the Sony camera with the expensive "Night Shot" option works. They don't prevent the IR from being detected and even have a couple of IR LED's added to the front of the camera to "illuminate" objects.
But you could go out and spend a small fortune picking up a special unit as well.
Or get a properly equipped home inspector to let you use his. :)

Arayan

Actually, just about any CCD device will pick up IR.
Try pointing a TV remote or something like it at one. Press the buttoons and you will see a white LED in the end flashing at you that you con't see normally.
A phone camera, a video camera, even a regular digital camera.
Now the trick is how well they pick it up and under what conditions will they work the best.
BTW. That's how the Sony camera with the expensive "Night Shot" option works. They don't prevent the IR from being detected and even have a couple of IR LED's added to the front of the camera to "illuminate" objects.
But you could go out and spend a small fortune picking up a special unit as well.
Or get a properly equipped home inspector to let you use his. :)

It's true, but only with an IR camera you can see the beam or the dot

Well Infinitus'
If you keep tryin' to pay by check (cheque) you will never get it !
Cash only !
Mwaaa haaa haaa.
:crackup:

I agree it's a good price, I have never been into IR though. Seems too dangerous for me and I like a visible beam :p.

Blade

i am actually interested in purchasing an ir laser. but im afraid of accidents, even if i am cautious. i have 2 pet frogs in my room. i dont want to blind them :D lol (theyre not the only ones i dont wanna blind though :) )

my eyes can actually see the slight red of the 808... i know you shouldnt do that, but it was my only choice. only did it for a sec without goggles and with a non reflective survace, it was tweed or some such nonsense. But the proper focus comes to a very small dot(at most 5mm from 50cm). started burning right off the bat... not smoking... BURNING

i have dpss crystals and it worked through them no problem... with a little tweaking of course. got some solid green

Blade

i think 808nm is visible to everyone (?). i used an ir led from an old remote and hooked it up to a 9v batttery. i could see the red glow on the plastic dome of the led, but no illumination.

i have dpss crystals and it worked through them no problem... with a little tweaking of course. got some solid green

wow, thats awesome. i gotta get me an ir laser and some crystals :D

i am actually interested in purchasing an ir laser. but im afraid of accidents, even if i am cautious. i have 2 pet frogs in my room. i dont want to blind them :D lol (theyre not the only ones i dont wanna blind though :) )
I heard when they get hit buy an IR laser they smell like fried chicken!