Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Daylight laser and child safe HELP PLEASE?

EbonV

I'm looking for two helpful tips please. I'm currently looking at designing a new kids activity toy featuring lasers. So my questions...

1. What lasers will work during the day (and night)?

2. What level of laser is child safe/eye safe?

I'd appreciate your help.

Thank you.

All lasers will work during the day or night. I assume you mean "What lasers can be seen during the day or night"

The problem with both of those is, the FDA regulates laser emitting devices and has its own guidelines based on what application you are using the device for.

For a childrens toy, im not sure you could get a variance for past class 2. (Perhaps someone else could chime in here)

Here is a bit of info of you have not already seen it.Laser safety - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The problem with lasers is, the FDA has a ton of regulations. For instance, the MPE may be class 2 but if the device should be taken apart by the child, it may exceed class 2 and go into the class 3 territory and put your product out of variance.

Im sure I have done a terrible job of explaining it but simply put its not going to be easy to produce a childs toy with any decently powered laser.

You won't get a child safe laser that is visible during the day certainly in any daylight area you would never see the beam, only in a dark room would you see a green 5mW laser and even then it wouldn't be kid safe ,in fact you wouldn't see any consumer laser outdoors unless it was a very dull day and the laser was 3 plus watts of blue or 1.5 watts of green both very high power and even then only just and dangerous a split second and you would be blinded by either on a direct hit to an eye. In short kids and lasers don't work. A key chain laser would be possible option about 1mW in red ,the dot would be seen indoors easy and just outdoors but only the spot you couldn't possibly see the beam on a red laser unless it was on dark night with at least 100mW of power again not kid friendly

Last edited:
No lasers are "kid safe" you only have two eyes and once they are gone that's it. That being said maybe .5mw would be safe in my eyes and idk even know I they make em that weak. A 5mw green would be nice but once again not safe. I've taken a 50mw on accident and even though it didn't blind me, it made a burning in my eye and hurt for a little while. May I ask what toy you are designing?

No. If you place your batteries in with the positive facing the tailcap. You will eventually endup frying a laser.
Hi i think you posted in wrong place there is a question as to which way to put batteries in and how to know which way is right

EbonV

These are all such helpful replies, thank you very much. Whilst I can't reveal the actual product idea perhaps a little more information could help you, help me. : )

This product would be designed for outdoor use, but is not hand held. It is more of a wall mounted device that would project down to the ground. So maybe 6ft in the air would be an average height. And the laser beam is not important, it's just the spot it would create. I am pretty sure if it had 2 wattage settings that it would project a spot on the ground at night quite well, the day however it seems may be impossible?

Am I right in saying green laser is the best option?

One suggestion was to use 'defractors' to break it up to around 1mw.

I also heard the possibility of using LEDs, any thoughts? Or is that a different forum?

Again thank you so much for all your help.

ev

Well, you'd get the best sort of help if you can tell us what exactly is the purpose of this device that you wish to create.

As it stands with little context presented, it sounds like the laser isn't a solution to your problem.

Generally, if you need a laser to be wall mounted and turned on 24/7 and outside, I think you're going about solving the problem the wrong way.

In short, what are you trying to do?

Encap

kids toys----stick with LED lights.

Last edited:
Not true. When I was a kid I remember a toy with a cheap red laser. And the FDA allowed that. Please just what does it do? Are you projecting shapes? Is it a game? LEDs don't project all to well

I'm thinking some kind of interactive projector. Maybe to trace a drawing or mark a place on a game etc. Would be hard to make safe because of the child curiosity. Where is it coming from, can I take it out, etc.

Encap

Not impossible for lasers to be in kid's toys---just difficult on top of everything else involved in doing a chilfren's toy + product liability insurance. Would be a big dollar effort/risk before making dollar 1.

"For laser toys to pose minimum risk to users, the levels of laser radiation or light output must not exceed the emission levels for Class I as defined in the Federal Performance Standard for Laser Products or for Class 1 as defined in the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC),3 under conditions of operation, maintenance, service, failure, or breakage. The inclusion of “breakage” is intended to recognize that play may continue with a broken toy."

"The whole toy needs to be certified as a laser product, unless the part of the toy that can emit laser light is removable and can emit laser light independently when separated from the other parts of the toy, in which case only that laser-emitting part would need to be certified. For example, a laser gunsight that is detachable from a toy gun is itself subject to applicable laser safety regulations and must be certified because it is a removable laser system (21 CFR 1040.10(c)(2))."

See: -DRAFT GUIDANCE August 7, 2013 Minimizing Risk for Children's Toy Laser Products - Draft Guidance for Industry and Food and Drug Administration Staff

Last edited:
Ooh, I remember that one time, in our country's capitol, Zagreb, there is an annual convention of technology and literature (much fun), and that one time I attended, there was a laser light show in one area.

I was stunned.

Anyway, lightshows come with 30 minute breaks, and during those breaks, an "interactive projector" was demoed.

It's basically a combination of your average "this-powerpoint-presentation-is-boring" video projector, and Infrared sensor.

It was projected top->down from the ceiling onto the floor. Stuff that was projected varied, like leaves or a pond of water with fish. When you touched the projected image, the leaves would get blown away or fish would swim away and water surface produced ripples - it was AWESOME, for both kids and us.

If you are looking for something like that to entertain your kids (which would make you one of the coolest dads, ever :D ), search for IR detection projector combos, or interactive projectors, or something of the sorts.

I haven't done any research but I'm 100% sure you could probably do-it-yourself out of regular motion sensors and digital projectors, both available commonly.

Let us know how the project goes!

Last edited:
THEY HAVE THOSE IN EVERY MALL IN MY AREA ^^^ any way that one CHILDS game with the lasers and the mirrors has a laser and is very fun. its a CHILDS game.

Yup our local malls have them too. My son can't get enough. I know he would love a projected paint by number or something similar.

Encap

Last edited: